Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 10

Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

trip to DC was hours on end walking and on the feet, the feets were sore as were the knees after a few days... knees recovered after one day of rest...
met a friend who was in from out of town in Philly over the weekend, did some walking around and ended up in a bar with three acoustic acts, first one was meh... just a filler, second guy was good and has a band I want to see in a few weeks, third was a trio of gals - a mix of bluegrass, folk and old country, vocals were great musicianship needs some work, except the one who played fiddle studied classical violin for over twenty years, but only used the violin in a few of their songs... she asked me after their set how I liked her mandolin playing... I just said I liked your fiddle playing better...
the gal on the dobro was fair and the third one had a voice that boomed... overall they were okay, the second 'warm up' act was outstanding with a peddle steel guitar and one dreadnought guitar, guy had a great baritone voice... steel guitar was outstanding

just laying low around here, gonna ring some bells and ask about resumes I sent out... a month is long enough wait to rattle their cage once...
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I have to say that it's comforting and, I guess, the opposite of comforting, for me to still land in this little group while I am struggling. It's not the strenuous stream of supportive posts that it used to be. But, I will still check in. I feel like I'm in a planet circling yours. I sometimes think: how beautiful it is. I go through the rigour of daily early morning determinations to make the best of a resolution to move on. And out. And usually fail. My posts must seem kind of trite and boring. Been there, done that. But: I continue to check in. Inviting insights. Generous, not cruel.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
waking down

It's all good. It is what it is. Checking in might help set an intention that will eventually stick. I've come to the conclusion that "Am I miserable?" is a more important question than "Am I sober?" I drank for years and I was not miserable. It wasn't until I was miserable that it became clear I needed to get sober.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

How are you all?

My friend wants me to see the Punch Brothers with him in August. They are touring here for the first time. I am in two minds but I'd be they are great live even though I'm not a huge fan generally.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you TL - hope all is well

D
Old 04-07-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi Dee!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
waking down

Hey kids! I would recommend a live Punch Brothers show. I don't sit around and listen to them, but it will be worth going out. I've seen them several times. Always amazing. The musicianship is jaw-dropping. Honestly, I think they are talented to a fault, which makes them difficult listening, but live it's just wow. Chris Thile is the man. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm good and hope you are, as well. Just busy...
Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Been gone for a while.

Having trouble finding the group.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vet69 View Post
Having trouble finding the group.
Found you!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Busy here, too.
I'd never heard of the Punch Brothers. Shame on me! Checked them out on youtube. I would certainly see the show if it came my way. Wonderful music.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Vet

D
Old 04-08-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I'm still around. I don't say a great deal but this group keeps me aware of where I want to be. I'm getting there.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're always welcome Vet. Talk about your journey 'getting there' too, if you like

D
Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
waking down

I had a bad day at work, but I committed to one more year. Damn. The things we do for money. But I'll make it, cash in, and move the hell on.

I hope y'all are moving the hell on in the best of ways...
Old 04-11-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

judging by the fact we're nearly into month 5 of this year the next year will go quickly Zero

D
Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
waking down

True that. I plan to enjoy it. The cool thing is because of the state pension rules, I can already start drawing pension checks during my last year of work. This means they can fire my ass and I'll still have income! The place is a ********, though, and seriously taxes my patience. Not my circus; not my monkeys will be my new mantra. Do what I gotta do and go home...
Old 04-14-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

It's a public service job, right, Zero? How would you rate cost effectiveness of the service on a scale of 1 to 10? You don't have to answer. How would you improve it?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
waking down

Yes, public. Because paying people is a huge chunk of the overall budget, the job duties for those employees should be commensurate with education and pay grade. For example, I have a masters degree, but about 80% of my time is spent on work that could be done by anyone with a high school diploma and half a brain. Why pay me a masters-level salary to shuffle papers and make copies? That has been my primary frustration as a professional; I've been languishing in mundane work largely unrelated to my education and training. One could say I'm an overpaid administrative assistant even though I have more education and training than my administrators. Instead of capitalizing on my knowledge, skills, and passion, I'm basically a go-fer. For financial reasons I stuck with it (small town, mortgage, few local options...), but the situation and frustration and resentment fueled my addictions while allowing me to survive in the job because I can do most of it half asleep. An astute reader could question if I've been relegated to B.S. work because I was a semi-functional drunk, but I assure you, that's not what happened. The job went south long before I started drinking more than a glass of wine on weeknights and slipped into alcoholic misery.

The other thing relates to overhead on maintenance of antiquated government buildings that are half-empty behemoths that cost a fortune to heat much less keep the rain out. Scrap them and move us to smaller, more modest office space. If they were quality architectural marvels on the Historic Register it would be one thing, but they're not special. They're just big and crumbling.

There's plenty more I could say, but you know the drill. The question we should ask if we want to be loyal to taxpayers is, "Would a corporation trying to make a profit do it this way?"
Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Did I mention I finally got the referral to the have occipital nerve block? Well I did. Not sure if it's helping yet. It's been about a week and a half.