Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 10

Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Good for you, Z. Music and dogs. And evening walks. Now, that's a good smell-the-flowers tableau.
I've been trying to read again. I tend to lose it in summer.
Interesting: I got a subscription to the New Yorker recently, and I am overwhelmed. Every week, a new one arrives in my rural mailbox. I try to devour them, but ... I can't keep up! It's great! I love print. And the Atlantic comes once a month. My fiction reading has dried up this summer, as it often does. But I found a few good Cuban writers well-reviewed, and will try to find them in the library. My long standing bedside table reading is Joshua Slocum's Sailing around The World. It just never gets old. And the neat thing about it: it's a smelly old book. Published around 1900. It has had many readers before me. Including an inscription from a daughter to a dad, 1948, together with a glued on yellowed newspaper clipping about Slocum being lost at sea. And I will pass it on. I've probably mentioned this before. A little smelly receptacle of history and imagination. Anyway, that's it for me. It's been a good day.
I guess that this is the equivalent of my walk with the dogs.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Mosquitoes are born to die. I got swarmed last night after a gig. Very grateful they didn't emerge until immediately after our set. We got a standing ovation and then people started running and flailing. Then again, maybe it wasn't a standing ovation...

Oh geez i found this sooooo funny Zero , thanks for he chuckle
Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
waking down

Hey kids! Hope you're all doing well. I'm staying very busy. Working a lot but also some folks I've jammed with on and off for years have morphed into a band and we're getting lots of (too many) gigs. It's fun. I'm the only clean and sober one, but they're not big drinkers, so it doesn't bother me. The level of THC in their systems can influence the music, but I've always been a fan of space and improvisation, so it's all good (even when it's not). Rock on, brave warriors!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

What's new, Zero.? I'm sure that you are having adventures in your post public servant identity. All's well here. New grandchild coming any day. Wood in the basement for the winter. Feel in kind of a vacuum as peers die and newborns arrive. Like a balloon in the air about to descend. But I joke. Kind of. I try to inhale every day, best I can. Still drinking. Too much. I hope that I'm learning, but sometimes, I think it's beyond me most of the time. I think I love it too much. I watch my brain dissolve, space out. Then I come to. I guess I'm on a downward spiral. Though in morning, I love the light. I guess that you go for the light.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Jack.
You too Zero - sorry I missed you.

D
Old 10-27-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
waking down

Sorry to hear about the downward spiral, JR. You really could do something about that. Starting a new career a few months ago has been a bit of a lifesaver. I'm very enthused, and due to being a relative senior with a relatively strong work ethic I was recently given a leadership position and a raise despite being a relative newcomer. So far I'm sensing no animosity for that. Seems the younger folks don't have a heck of a lot of ambition. Learning so much and for the first time in decades feel a true sense of respect and purpose.

Take care of yourselves, kids. Good job keeping folks in line, Dee. I know I need reminders sometimes, Lol.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
waking down

Hope all are well as the holidays arrive. I'll be hosting a bevy of drunks for Thanksgiving, which doesn't bother me. I have my seltzer! Lol
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I would like to be one of the bevy at your Thanksgiving table, Zero. Or a fly on the wall. Would be fun, and the conversation would be animated, I'm sure. Whenever I hear the word seltzer, I think of The Three Stooges! Spraying carbonated water from bottles seemed a very popular thing in 30's and 40's comedy. Especially if some of those involved were wearing tuxedos.
My truck got stuck in a wet field beside the house yesterday. A very naughty, deceptive lawn cover concealed a few inches of mushy, jello-like earth. Much effort to extract it failed. Tow truck called to winch it out. I give myself full points for perspective during the incident. No anger. Totally zen. Anger has bigger fish to fry in this world than dealing with stuck trucks, I figure.
Happy Thanksgiving! We had ours last month. As it turns out, we devoured lots of wonderful food that we grew in the very field that grabbed the truck. Small price.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
waking down

I've missed the vegetable garden we had when we lived in the fertile Northwest. No bites on the house, but we still dream of moving to a place where the dogs could run and veggies would grow. Time will tell. The job is good for now, but I'm learning that corporate America can be as dysfunctional as government work. I always figured the drive for profit would quell some of the waste and foolishness, but go figure. The best thing is unlike my old job, I can go home and pretty much block it out until the next morning. Sure, I have to work late sometimes, or a couple of hours on a Saturday here and there, but my old job seemed to be a 24 hour burden. I do what I do and then I don't. Kinda nice. Hope all is well up there in the wild northland, and prep for the holidays is paced and sane. I don't care what Trump says, Happy Holidays is good enough for this nontheist formerly drunken ****. Lol.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

No bites on the house? Planning to move? Good that post- retirement is treating you OK. Doing music?
On the holiday front: we don't really prepare. Years ago, we gave up on gift giving. We say: no gifts! Donate to your favourite charity! Or we can combine $$, and donate to Doctors without Borders...etc. It's a liberation. We already have so much; why add on? Spread it out. Grandkids have changed that a bit. We do try to gift our little ones, who still believe in Santa. One little 6 year old guy, who is utterly into fishing and fish, is going to get some hip waders from us. And his 4 year old sister will also get hip waders. This kid can talk on and on about fish. And hunting. Two subjects hitherto unknown at our family gatherings. So: it's good to see the family morph into new regions. It's all good.

Happy non-theistic non-drunken holidays to you and yours, Z.
Our grandkids set up a little creche scene in a small table top stable I made last year, and they painted in psychedelic colours. I think they love the idea of the baby in the straw, the shepherds etc. They haven't any idea of the Saviour thing. It's still more the donkeys and the baby in the straw thing for them. Certainly, a time of fluid transformation of cultural understanding of Christmas. Jimmy Stewart would find it all very interesting. Maybe even use the word Golly!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
waking down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK85O6FgRC0
Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
waking down

Bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhsYC4gKy4
Old 02-04-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 02-05-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
waking down

Warren Haynes fan, eh? I've seen him with various folks: Gov't Mule, The Dead, Phil and Friends... Good stuff. Damn sure better than rain...
Old 02-05-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah never hear much of that genre here in Oz

I knew him from the Dead and that led me backwards into Govt Mule and The Allmans. Not all of it is my cup of tea but I do like a good guitar solo

D
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
waking down

Allman Bros. - forgot about that. I think Warren was with them when I last saw them, back in the mid-90's. But I agree... I've seen him and loved it and I've seen him and walked away (festival scenes where there were choices). Not someone I listen to around the house, but he does jam live. I saw him do a Jerry Garcia tribute with the Colorado Symphony. I wish I could say it was good. Lol.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rock and symphonies can be hit and miss

D
Old 04-15-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
waking down

I think about the folks here who helped me through the early years. Wonder about you. Just saying hi, and hope y'all are doing well. I know some fell off the wagon, and maybe you've joined a more recent and more active group. Wherever you are and whatever you're doing, may you experience joy.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a thread change - hope we hear from some folks
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-11-a.html (Class Of December 2013 - Part 11)

D