Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 44

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Morning Undies,

Some interesting reading this morning.

The good news for ya'll is that I have 0 time to offer my 2 cents.

The good news for me is that I have a BIG DATE TONIGHT. Yes, I am off to Philly to baby sit my g-daughter. At 10 weeks old, our agenda is to just hang out...in her case, perhaps literally in a swingie that she loves.

I'm sober and off to hang with my new baby g-baby. I need to pinch myself to be sure that life is this much fun. It seemed like such work in active addiction to have a good time. Now, it just happens.

On the rebound, Undies....

Carlos
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Oh, have fun, Carlos. How wonderful is that?????
Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

One of the most amazing things I found after being sober was the fun of doing "routine" things again. I was always too drunk to do them, or remember if I did.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Unders weather cant make up its mind today rain all day now early afternoon and the sun is beaming just back in from shopping and a big walk
Old 03-26-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
One of the most amazing things I found after being sober was the fun of doing "routine" things again. I was always too drunk to do them, or remember if I did.
Yeah, I'm kinda boring that way. I actually enjoy cooking and laundry, and pretty much anything that gets me away from sitting in front of a computer.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hi everyone-This is my first post on this thread and I'm just saying Hi. I have been sober for two months now and taking things a day at a time. Have a good day.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome waywardson

D
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Welcome Wayward.. and congrats on 2 mos!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats, Wayward!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Court jester

Carry on waywardson! (Sorry, couln't resist)
Old 03-26-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Welcome, Wayward and congrats!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Had a big upset in work yesterday. Some redistribution of staff is happening and I'm being moved out from the department that I love.... it was between two of us..... it came down to my 'attendance due to illness' .... I'm so upset I can't begin to describe it. I have struggled with my health recently. ....(nothing to do with the booze).... and im being punished for it. Feels like such a kick in the teeth, not going to do my low self esteem and depression any favours.
To add insult to injury I had to go out last night on a staff night out. ... sat there watching them all be happy and jolly and guzzling booze.
Hardly slept last night and feel awful. ...
Sorry for the rant... just needed to get it off my chest.
Xx
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry petals...I hope you'll come to love the new job too?

D
Old 03-27-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Petals, try to look for the positives in this. I realise you feel unjustly punished for something you have no control over, but I for one am so proud of you for not allowing a really bad day to give yourself permission to drink last night! That was amazing and you should feel really proud of yourself that you stuck to your guns. You never know, I always believe things happen for a reason, this department move might be just what you need, either to do something different or, it may push you to look at why you are doing the job you are doing, and now in sobriety, maybe you want to review your work situation.
GF had a similar scenario early in her sobriety, and used it as a springboard to seek a new line of work completely.

WWS, good to see another new face!

Welcome too to you BMac, love your avatar, we took our Gson to watch the Sox a few times when they visited us out there. I am hoping if we return to the states at the end of the year, we return to Boston.
Hugs all Undies x
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I don't know if I've greeted everybody yet. Welcome GroundhogDay, Bmac, and Waywardson (that song came out right at the time of my HS graduation--it was a smash! Everybody thought it was the coolest and deepest thing in the universe! I still love it).

I'm very sorry, Petals. Hopefully the deep, systemic upset you feel will go away soon. Maybe the new job will showcase a new set of skills and make you more versatile in the long run.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Welcome Waywardson! Congratulations on 2 months sober!

Also, welcome Bmac and GroundhogDay.

Drake and Groundhog - I was always too hungover to enjoy errands, and just wanted to get in, get out, and get under cover. That mentality didn't go away at first so if you're new and reading this, don't despair if it hasn't happened for you yet! I forgot that errands could be fun in and of themselves. Lately, I find myself thoroughly enjoying the car ride, blasting music, chatting with people I see in the store, everything.

Carlos - I like what you said about how fun used to be so complicated, but now all you have to do is show up - AND THERE IT IS. I hope you enjoyed snuggling up with your sweet little granddaughter, as well as catching up with her mom and dad (and watching the Irish prevail ).

Petals - I'm so sorry about your job, and as Toots mentioned, I can definitely relate to losing a job that you love. With all of the other changes going on in your life, this isn't an opportune time to change your job as well. I was a head teacher in a preschool and when they had to cut a position due to lack of enrollment they cut mine because I was the most recently hired employee. I ended up in a different building with an entirely new staff, working with an age group that I had never worked with before, with lousy hours, as an assistant.

Petals, it's your choice petals whether to let this get you down or whether to roll with the punches. I'm not trying to say every cloud has a silver lining. They don't. Sometimes we have to accept the lousy hand we've been dealt and course correct.

This challenge gave me an opportunity to work on acceptance. Acceptance that "it is what it is" helped me making this transition a positive one. Just because one opportunity doesn't work out doesn't mean that you're doomed! I had the choice between feeling bad about myself for losing my position, and being angry at the folks who made the decision, and feeling embarrassed at my "demotion" from head teacher to assistant OR allowing myself to utilize my talent at getting along with coworkers and students. Ultimately I gave the job a chance. I gave my best one day at a time. I let each day take care of itself without worrying about the next day. Petals, I hope you find peace in your circumstances.

And BRAVO on staying away from alcohol at the party. By staying away from alcohol you are actively helping your depression. You may not see the results yet, but eventually you will.

Well, I'm off for the TGIF womp day. Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning Unders
Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Drake/Groundhog/Glee, this may sound crazy, but I actually enjoyed doing errands while heavily buzzed. Housecleaning too. I'd be getting hammered while scrubbing the heck out of my bathrooms, vacuuming, fixing odd things around the house. Similarly, I'm a grown up, but still like Legos and puzzles and often would work on those while drunk. Good thing is I still like my hobbies when sober, and don't mind housework.

Petals, sorry to hear about what happened at work. I'm also not sure this is constructive advice, but you might want to speak with HR at hour company since you shouldn't have been told that you were being transferred for "attendance due to illness." In the US, you should be protected by FMLA. If you simply had attendance issues and your boss left it at that, then it's completely OK for them to take the action they did, but they shouldn't have used illness as an excuse. Again, not sure I'm helping here, but thought I'd bring that up. I do think you should just stay positive and try your hardest at this new position and show how valuable and versatile you are to the company.

Carlos, I hope you had a lovely date with your granddaughter! Another easy win for Kentucky last night and I like MSU's chances tonight. Enjoy watching the games. I stayed totally sober watching them last night and wagered a bit on a 4-point teaser. Easily covered the Notre Dame, but then eked it out with Wisconsin (they covered the actual spread in the end, but it was very touch and go) and then BARELY eked out the Arizona game as I needed them to cover 6.5 and I was screaming at my TV at 12:30AM for them to hit free throws and then when up 8, screaming that Xavier wouldn't hit a shot at the end that was meaningless to the outcome, but would have cost me my whole bet! Ended up winning. So much better having an adrenaline over low-stakes gambling than being so trashed that I don't even remember the outcome.

I'm kicking off Day 37. My depression from earlier in the week has lifted quite a bit, which is nice, but the urge to drink is the strongest that it's been since I got sober. I've made the plan to go to my parents' or brother's this weekend, but have 3 offers of things to do tonight in NYC. One would certainly involve drinking and I've ruled that out, the other two there would likely be alcohol around, and while I really want to abstain, my willpower is a lot stronger at 7:20AM than it will be at 7:20PM, so I'm thinking I should scrap that and just not tempt myself with that.

Similarly, I have offers to go out and drink with some classmates from my graduate program tomorrow. I really have enjoyed networking and it's a main reason I am paying for this degree, but yeah, I know that I'm simply better off staying sober. A pub crawl is not a good thing to attempt to do sober!

I'm just really trying to avoid isolating myself socially, but do realize at this stage, that may be for the better, just to keep sober. Because right now, my AV is definitely telling me that if I can stay sober 36 full days, then I can stay sober as long as I want to, and that why not treat myself this weekend when I don't have any real commitments. Gotta fight that urge big time.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Carlos have fun with your grand daughter!

Petals sorry to hear the news. Glad you didn't drink over it. And like toots said maybe you'll like the other position better!!

Nym a weekend with the parents sounds like a good plan!

Welcome to the new undies!!

Off to womp
Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Petals---sorry to hear about your job---goll darn it----it makes me angry that a person loves there job so much and the uppers don't appreciate you.
Welcome all new Undies.
I have been busy and have some things to catch up on.
will try and post later---things are well with me and I'm still sober.
Have a good week-end!!
hugs to all of you
Babs