Notices

Benadryl Addiction and Sleepless Nights

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Benadryl addiction is pretty common on other forums here.

My advice to anyone is, if you can't give it up or you're feeling poorly from trying to do so - see a Dr.

You can't put a price on your health - if you are struggling financially look around for a free clinic - internet search for 'free clinic' and your local area.

If you're a student, you may have access to health clinics on campus.

I'd be particularly worried if I was starting to use it as some kind of anaesthetic Smilieface.

I'm sorry for your loss...but having been there done that with my drugs of choice, doping yourself is about the worst way to get through it.

Get some help - your campus should have some counselling available too.

D
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I was taking Benedryl for insomnia for a long time. I went from taking 2 to taking 4. Then it stopped working and starting causing really bad anxiety attacks. It was also screwing with my memory. I'd have conversations with people and not remember them. Or I'd buy something at the store, then later look at it and wonder where it came from. I thought I was going crazy, then I went online and found out it causes memory loss. I quit taking it, seeing as it wasn't working anymore anyway. I talked to the doctor about it and he said its not good as a sleeping pilll anyway. He said it interferes with REM sleep.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Higher power with action will remove our cravings.

Go to meetings
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

If for no other reason I would stop just to save your sinuses. Alot of decongestants are drying agents/antihistimines or have drying agents in them to stop a runny nose. If you dry out the linings of your sinuses they can become irritated and start developing infections. Then after prolonged periods of you will wind up with bloody noses. The samething can happen from medicated nasal sprays as well(saline based the safest for most).

I've had alot of sinus and ear trouble over the years. After the slightest inkling of a cold or runny nose I would take Actifed. I eventually had to have my nose burnt shut. The doctor said no sinus medication unless you REALLY need it and that includes nasal sprays. I use saline nasal spray or salt water on occassion and haven't been to a sinus doctor for almost 15 years now.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

This is an odd time to come across this thread, as I am up to 100mg and still not sleeping well.

So can benadryl get you high? Or are we just talking about dependency for sleep. I have never gotten high off it. I need to go back to melatonin, the sublingual tabs worked really well. Benadryl builds up tolerance too fast.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I thought I was the only one who had become addicted to Benedryl!! I was taking it EVERY night, and my doses kept getting bigger and bigger until I was taking a lot more than I probably should.

I have allergies, so it's been hard to stay off it--but it was hell. I could not sleep without it. Once I went off it I started drinking more to replace it...it's been 2 weeks and I've quit both. I still have sleepless nights.

Whoever says Benedryl is not addicting is out of their mind. It definitely is. I was taking it because I'm up all night with depressive thoughts and I'm an insomniac. I was taking it until I literally passed out. Not good.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Question I know I'm not alone in this thinkig now

I have severe depression since young age it has got much worse since I lost a sister and few other bad things happened to me, I started taking the benadryl pills 25mg, to insure I would sleep deeply, b/c sleep was better than reality, I am seeing a therapist but I need help on here to know if I can be causing any health problems to myself??? I am now up to 10 or 12 pills a night, I don't even need then to sleep I just want to make sure I sleep good. I have other health issues and also take 3- 1 mg clonazepam, butal 325 caff tablet for tension headaches which I usually take 2 or 3 a day, zoloft 200 mg, geodon 2- 40mg pills a day and levetiractetam 500mg, but only when needed, I don't have epilepsy, but have something dr's said that I can only call it emotional seizures so I only take as needed. Before if I took 6 pills of benadryl I would sleep whole day but thing tolerance is up last nigfht it was 14 pills was up till 3 and still woke up at noon, I admit I think I am addicted to them, I don't use it for any high or other reasons just want to sleep and I am tired all the time reguardless if I take the pills which my dr says is part of the depression, but I didn't take them for a couple days and felt weird which is what prompted me to seek out if anyone else had this problem, I feel not alone knowing I am not the only one, If anyone knows what health problems it can cause please tell me, my other health issues are a hiatial hernia, gerd, not on medicine tho, hypoactive tyroid, also not bad enough for medicine, the others are minor and not on medicine for, I do't use drugs and hardly ever have a drink so I want to be safe and get answers thanks so much!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

What I've learned is that when you're going off medication, it does the opposite of what it did in the beginning. Perhaps a better word than "addicted" is "dependent".

I took ambien for seven years and it finally stopped working. I didn't sleep for months but finally ok. My doctor put me on klonopin (low dose) for sleep. I don't always need it.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sleepyone ... I'm so sorry about your sister and your current unhappy period. It's critical that you consult a physician, ideally a psychiatrist, to get off all these meds. Don't try it by yourself.

God bless
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

wow...

I seriously felt like I was the only one with this addiction....I am so happy that I know I can relate to others. I have been taking benadryl for 5 years to help sleep. At first it was just for my allergies, but then I started taking it because I was in a depression. Then when I had developed OCD...I was taking benadryl to help alleviate my symptoms. I used to take 3-4 a night, but now Im down to 1-2 a night. I have tried melatonin, but I would have bad nightmares so I stopped. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Clean - Here is a link with some options:

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

You definitely are not alone. Stick around and let us know how you're doin. This part of SR ain't the busiest...just FYI. Welcome and good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Im happy to be a part of this community And thank you for the link, I will definitely look the tips in there over!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by danib View Post
um, my pharmacist said i could take Benedryl for sleep, my doc agreed - they are both aware of my addiction problems. so now i am in trouble with Benedryl? i should not take it?
The active ingredient in Benadryl, diphenhydramine, is also used in Tylenol PM. So it is safe for occasional insomnia.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss.
Originally Posted by smilieface View Post
Hello everyone,

I am 20 years old and am afraid I may be addicted to Benadryl. Two months ago my Mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, while having the conversation with her over the phone while she was in the ER I took a benedryl because I'm allergic to grass and was getting a rash. Four weeks long weeks went by and my use became daily and continued to grow as the effects weren't what I desired. She died on June 17th, and my usage has been worse now than it has ever been. I wasn't sure if addiction could even be possible with this medicine, but today I decided to try not to take it and I began to feel sick in the evening. I'm really afraid that I have become hooked on it, does anyone have any suggestions? Yesterday I took one in the morning and then two around 12, it never really gets above four a day and then only two at a time.

Suggestions are welcome,
Smilie
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm new to the site. I have been taking oxy for pain for some time now. I get shots for my allergys. I started taking Benadryl to help ovecome reacting to my shots and to help with day to day allergys. I was only taking 25mg gel cap a day. I stoped the Benadryl and had withdraws. (I'm not new to withdraw.) The big thing was the way my heart would feel and having a hard time breathing. We did a lung test and it came up fine. Now eveyrtime I take my pain meds I get breathing issues and feel a bit sick. I belive pain meds raise the histamines in me and now when I stoped the Benadryle it got worse. Any good idea or thoughts?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

You really need to see your Dr about stuff like this Fluffy.
If you're not satisfied with the one you have or what they've done, please get a second opinion.

D
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I stumbled upon this site recently and noticed that the posts on here are really helpful, I've been using 12- 15 benadryl daily for about a year and 6 months and I haven't really considered myself an addict until I tried to quit. I stopped for about a month but when my allergies came back I started using again and now I'm taking 20 - 30 daily. I know I can't go on like this and I'm probably lucky to be walking around. I need some help from sites lie these to stop.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fultang View Post
Hello people.
I'm new here.
I accidentally found this site while researching how to regrow teeth.
So I've been reading threads for hours here.
I'm also a firm believer in the law of attraction.
The external world mirrors the internal world that exists in your mind.
We create our own reality.
I'm not saying positive thought is the key.
I hate when people say that.
I'm a negative person for the most part.
But I do believe that we totally create the world we live in.
And when you think that, just as the theory goes, that's what you experience.
I can't sit here and tell you how to do that.
But I can tell you that for every problem you encounter, you also encounter the solution to that problem.
You just have to condition your mind to accept that solution.

Easier said than done, I know.
But it could be the most important thing you ever do.
This was as much poem as post. When did Burroughs join this discussion group?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm having a problem kicking the Benadry habit. This forum helps a lot. Thanks for sharing your stories.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Addicted to Tylenol PM fot over a year

Hi. I have been using Tylenol PM for over a year now. I have been taking about 20 to 30 pills per day in order to sleep through life. I told myself it wasn't a relapse (I have been sober from alcohol for over 2 years.) I last took some pills last week and have since started back in OutPatient program. I need to come clean with my sponsor because i feel like I have been living a lie. I stepped down tonight from Chairing an AA meeting and am resigning as Treasurer from my Tues Womens group. I have been lying to everyone including myself for far too long. It just feels good to talk about it. Thank you for having this site and thank you for being here to talk to.