Notices

Benadryl Addiction and Sleepless Nights

Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

me too

Add me to the list... I started taking Benadryl because I was dating someone who had cats that I was allergic to, and Benadryl seemed to do the trick on the nights when I'd stay at her place. But I needed to take them every couple hours to keep the allergies away. Eventually I started taking them anytime an allergy anywhere even remotely started (I wouldn't leave home without them in my purse), and then every night to sleep. This is disturbing because I have 8 very strong years of recovery, and I'm not willing to change my sobriety date over some allergy pill, but it really doesn't seem like sober behavior. I no longer take the pill, but am thrown off by the whole thing. And I didn't even realize that I was addicted. But now that I'm off of it, I have horrible insomnia that is driving me crazy. I didn't realize how dependent I had become. I'm also bothered by allergies still that are incredibly disruptive to my life, but am afraid to take anything for them since clearly my personality is so addictive I can get hooked on anything. I remember when I was about 8 yrs old, I got hooked on dimatap - this reminds me of that time period. I hate this.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

My old doctor used to try and push this stuff on me ALL THE TIME, I never
understood why. I finally just lied and told him I was taking it to get him
off my back. He told me the same thing, it was harmless and non addictive.
I didn't realize how bad it was till I saw this thread.
Thanks for sharing everyone, I know not to use it for sleep now, as I due
often have insomnia.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Jen

lol.... i totally thought i abnormal! my doc... aka mom, told me to take them when i started college, but like everyone else here my tolerance grew, i wasnt taking 3 at a time i was taking 10, yeah... i totally had to detox from benadryl... after detoxing from alcohol i thought i was a total ****** without any self control. but once i di that and didnt take it for about 2 weeks, my sleep patern was back to the norm. thank you so much for letting me know im not alone in that!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I see some people saying stop, and others say to see a doctor... I just want to be another on the list to suggest seeing a doctor, if you don't have medical, I would call a clinic and see what you can do. If your taking something everyday more and more, your body is not going to be happy if you just stop and will do something to get more, like give you withdrawal symptoms....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just injest a few simple carbs and that helps me fall asleep.

I have Trazadone but I never use it because I don't like to take anything more than Tylenol or Advil these days.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i've been taking at least 400 MG of benedryl 3 times a day for 18 months.

i use it to chill out during the times that i'm awake, and i can't sleep without it either. i'm starting to get incredibly sick because i haven't taken any in about 36 hours. i really want to get help...maybe talk to a doctor, but i'm too embarrassed and ashamed to even make an appointment to talk to somebody. i just don't know what to do and i thought this might help.

thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You really, really should talk to a nurse, a doctor, or at least a pharmacist. I've had problems with benadryl in the past. Overuse and abuse can cause some unpleasant side effects, I agree. I use melatonin supplements to help me sleep, and it works fairly well.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i've dabbled with benydryl too. nyquil too. i found that it made me very irritable during the day (especially the nyquil) so much so that i snapped at a customer and got "written up" at work......very uncool.

there are so many other ways to fight insomnia.........avoid caffeine, exercise, chamomile tea, peppermint tea, bedtime snack, warm milk (i can't sleep on an empty stomach). no one ever gets a really perfect night's sleep, not in "our" world.

but for those who have a true addiction to these OTCs and it is affecting your health as badly as vomiting blood, the best thing to do is see a doctor quickly.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Benadryl doesn't have abuse potential? Are you kidding me? It's the most widespread hallucinogen out on the market to date, right up there with Robitussin. Seriously. I don't recommend it, but I used to take about 500 mgs at once to get the effects. I would go to walmart and steal 300 pill packs. A good friend of mine accidentally overdosed on Benadryl and is dead.

Please, seek medical help if you think you might be addicted.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had to quit taking it. Sure, I would get SUPER drowsy, but all I would do is have an restless three-four hour "sleep". then I would toss & turn all night long. It sped up my heartbeat somewhat. I won't take any more unless a allgergee (sic) starts up...
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I used to abuse it years ago. Had to quit as it adds to bronchitis problems!
I use on ocassion Phenergan,,,as it doesn't make me so congested. Haven't drank in about 6 months, now to quit smoking.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hello people.
I'm new here.
I accidentally found this site while researching how to regrow teeth.
So I've been reading threads for hours here.

I come to this one and I'm surprised.
I too overuse Benadryl.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm addicted.
I've been an insomniac since I was in 6th grade and I have real bad allergies which facilitates the use of benadryl.
I've also been abusing pain pills since I got my wisdom teeth pulled.
I'm also a chronic marijuana user since 9th grade.
I'm 32 now.

I just want to say a little about this subject.
As I said, I use several drugs on mostly a daily basis.
Sometimes I'll even snort a little H.
I was a cocaine user for about 5 years back in my early to mid 20's.
People don't want to believe me when I tell them I have never experienced withdrawal.
Physical withdrawal anyway.
I've battled the psychological aspect of withdrawal many times.
But it's never come to the physical part.
I don't know why.
I could even be wrong, and just not know that I've experienced it.
But something tells me I would know it if it happened.

So the only reason I can think of to explain this is that I don't expect withdrawal ,it's not a factor to me.
I go through cycles where I use drugs heavily for a few months/years, then something happens that prevents me from keeping up the use.
Be it lack of sources, money, time.
It just happens, and withdrawal doesn't really enter my mind until someone brings it up, or until I think about it.
It's not that my use of drugs is so minor that I don't reach that point.
With H, the people I know that are into it have always said that if you use it everyday for a week or longer, you get dopesick.
Well, I go months using it everyday, using other opiates too.
But I've never been dopesick.
It's not that I don't have an addictive personality, I have a VERY addictive personality.

My point is that it's possible that the withdrawal most people experience could be exacerbated by your mind.
Because you expect it, it's a factor in your thoughts.
Especially when someone experiences it from substances that aren't physically addictive.
Like Benadryl.
I take ALOT of it, for extended periods of time.
But if for any reason I have to go without it for any length of time, there's no withdrawal symptoms.
I've experienced what they call the "rebound effect", where my allergies and sinuses get terrible when I don't take it.
It only lasts a day or so though.
And bad allergies and sinus infections are just part of my existence, and would happen periodically anyway.

I'm also a firm believer in the law of attraction.
The external world mirrors the internal world that exists in your mind.
We create our own reality.
I'm not saying positive thought is the key.
I hate when people say that.
I'm a negative person for the most part.
But I do believe that we totally create the world we live in.
And when you think that, just as the theory goes, that's what you experience.
I can't sit here and tell you how to do that.
But I can tell you that for every problem you encounter, you also encounter the solution to that problem.
You just have to condition your mind to accept that solution.

Easier said than done, I know.
But it could be the most important thing you ever do.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

I am 20 years old and am afraid I may be addicted to Benadryl. Two months ago my Mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, while having the conversation with her over the phone while she was in the ER I took a benedryl because I'm allergic to grass and was getting a rash. Four weeks long weeks went by and my use became daily and continued to grow as the effects weren't what I desired. She died on June 17th, and my usage has been worse now than it has ever been. I wasn't sure if addiction could even be possible with this medicine, but today I decided to try not to take it and I began to feel sick in the evening. I'm really afraid that I have become hooked on it, does anyone have any suggestions? Yesterday I took one in the morning and then two around 12, it never really gets above four a day and then only two at a time.

Suggestions are welcome,
Smilie
Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate. For me it's not necessarily just benadryl, it's just sleeping aids period. I only take them just before bed to help me sleep and now its really difficult for me to sleep without taking something. If I don't take something I lay there forevvvver. I'm not sure I'd say its effecting my life at all at this point but it would sure be nice to be able to fall asleep without something again.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Smilieface :ghug3

I'm so sorry about your mom. This must be such a difficult time for you. I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about what's been going on. It sounds like benadryl has been a way for you to numb yourself from all the emotions you must be feeling.

Feel free to PM me anytime. We are close in age and if you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Years ago I had a doctor tell me to take Benadryl to help with the sleep problems of early sobriety. I get restless legs whenever I stop drinking, and the Benadryl exacerbated it horribly. I didn't realize that this was a side effect.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

What should I do if I was on my Mum's health insurance plan and am a student without a job? I have no health insurance coverage and no job to help pay for one :\
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

For me it's not a sleeping problem, I guess you're right, it's more of the 'numbness' that I like. I went looking last night because I was worried when I woke up and thought 'I should take some benadryl even when I wasn't breaking out or itchy at all. Good thing my Mum's not here to see this I guess...
Old 07-16-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Wow, you learn something new every day! I have been taking Benadryl for years to help me sleep, and it never occurred to me to abuse it. Good to know now that I have quit drinking and might be susceptible to a new addiction. Luckily on the few occasions I have taken a second dose in the night it didn't help, and it only made me feel worse in the morning, so I never bothered to take extra after that. I shall now make that a definite no-no.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to take it to sleep only got used to it fast and had to take a lot, then got ugly side effects the next day like anxiety and a feeling of not being able to sit still or concentrate. Also felt rather sick physically. I don't take it anymore. Nasty stuff if you take too much or too often.