There Is Hope

Old 06-08-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
It's not every day we see great stories here. But this is one of those days. Thank you so much for the update.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Best news I have heard all day! Your son is a true joy to hear about.
Praying all of us enablers can embrace our "letting go" so that the miracle in our lives is apparent to our loved ones!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

What a wonderful and hopeful post! Congrats to him, and to you, for getting through it all!

I love hearing good news!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This is a double celebration, your son's strong recovery and also your own. I know it didn't come easy for either one of you but am thrilled each time you post, it gives hope to each one of us.

Thank you for sharing all this with each of us, it helps us see that we CAN change and make our lives worth living again and also that no matter how hopeless an addict may appear, there is always hope that they will one day find a better path and stay on it.

Grateul hugs to both of you.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Today marks year 6 of active recovery for my son (27).

I'm beginning to wonder why I feel the need to "celebrate" the anniversary of his recovery. He doesn't make a big deal about it.

It was just such a traumatic time in our lives and I'm so thankful for where we are now.

My heart goes out to anyone dealing with the day to day madness of active addiction.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

BeavsDad, I haven't been on here in months and months, and here you were today! I remember your son found recovery just before I found this site, and I always appreciated your advice, hope and experience. Marking the day here, and however you celebrate it in your heart and life, is a great thing to do. We all have such sad anniversaries when it comes to addiction-related disasters, that I think it is especially important to mark the good days as well.

My daughter and son-in-law are approaching 3 years of sobriety and their sweet little daughter is approaching 2 already. They are all thriving and living their lives with joy as well as struggle, as we all must, but now it is life without the threat of imminent death due to drug use, surrounded by family and friends in recovery.

And yes, I agree, for those of you suffering today, take heart, and know there are many of us sending you strength and courage and serenity.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well I, for one, just love celebrating with you each year. As you said earlier in all this, things can change on a dime. That's true, I know from my own experience how very true it is...and yet...here we are, once again doing the happy dance because it IS worth celebrating and if your son likes low key, then good for him but you and I and many here will celebrate for the next 100 years if need be.

For me it brings home that some/many DO make it back and can live good, happy, healthy lives and still practice their recovery every day.

This year I baked us a cake...I think it's worth the extra for 6 years of wonderful...don't you? I made a butterfly cake since the butterfly is symbolic of all recovery programs. Next year we will add ice cream.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Beav's Dad and GardenMama- the two of you, along with others, were the first ones who helped me along the road in the early days of my son's addiction. Always grateful for the wisdom, support and guidance. So happy to hear your son, daughter and son-in-law are doing well and embracing their sobriety. It gives hope to all of us whose loved ones have not yet gotten on the recovery path but God willing will get there soon. There have been many times when I say to myself it will never happen and then I read 2 beautiful posts just like yours.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Garden Mama, I am so happy your daughter and son-in-law are doing so well too, and how wonderful for the little child to have clean and sober parents.

Allthatsgood, I never give up on my son, even after all these years I believe that one day he will surrender and find a better path too. Our kids are in God's hands and that keeps me happy and hopeful every day.

Did anyone bring the forks?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am so happy to hear from Beav's Dad and GM, fellow parents and survivors of this thing called codependency! I too am so hopeful and happy to hear of continuous years of sobriety and commitment from your children! JJ is still in the washing machine, currently on a spin cycle (LOL) as he just rechecked into detox, however it seems each time it gets easier for me and our family. We accept he is doing what he is doing. We love him unconditionally but don't interact when he is using. That's my boundary. I too look forward and will always pray for those years of peace, happiness and fulfillment for JJ. But for today, I am thankful for my peace, happiness and fulfillment irregardless of JJ's choices.
Hugs to all! TT is going to be just fine .
Old 06-25-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Earlier this month my son hit 9 years of recovery.
I'm not sure how "active" it is anymore since I haven't heard him mention a meeting or a sponsee in a while, but I guess it's not really my business.
All I know is that "we" as a family went through hell for several years and the future still looks bright.

I couldn't be more proud of him.
He's actually due to tie the knot later this year.

I don't visit here all that often anymore, but I won't forget the lessons I learned here.
If you're struggling with a child or loved one locked in the grips of addiction, there is hope.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

9 years - how wonderful, Dad. Congratulations to your son on his upcoming marriage this year. Things could have turned out so differently had he not reclaimed his life.
Thank you so much for filling us in.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so happy for you and your son, thank you for bringing this message of hope to a place where it's very much needed.

Your son has done well, but don't forget that YOU did well too, finding your way through the darkness and into the light as his dad.

Well done to both of you and wishes for wonderful blessings in the years to come.

Hugs
Old 06-27-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, BeavsDad. It is wonderful to hear of your son's success, and best wishes to him on his journey into marriage!

"If you're struggling with a child or loved one locked in the grips of addiction, there is hope." Yes, I agree.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:11 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Internally celebrating my boy's 11th year of recovery.
Not sure if I remember this date because I still feel relief from the trauma, or because it lines up with a good friend's birthday.
Either way, I'm glad it's still a thing.

I still tell people about this forum. It helped me a lot.
I'm hoping you all out there in the trenches can get some relief too...
Old 06-06-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi Beav’sdad……

Thank you!

My daughter is just over two years sober from crack, meth, alcohol. She’s in transition housing, fighting for her life.

Im thankful for every day