Addict wife’s pregnancy

Old 06-08-2022, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addict wife’s pregnancy

This area of the forum seems pretty quiet, but I’ll give this a shot.

My wife is 16 weeks pregnant, presumably with my child. It definitely was not planned and I put a great deal of the blame on myself. I love her very much but hate her at the same time. She’s addicted to heroin and was actively using during the early part of the pregnancy for about a month after she found out she was pregnant. I was not aware of the pregnancy during that time. She finally confessed to me when she was around 12 weeks pregnant. She’s under a doctor’s care now and is on prescription Suboxone since that’s what they say is the safest option for the pregnancy. She’s 16 weeks now and just had a checkup this morning where everything looks as ok as it can be given the situation.

Has anyone dealt with anything similar?

Old 06-08-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, LP86, glad you found us but sorry for the situation that brings you here.

I am here as spouse of alcoholic so heroin is not something I know about so I cannot offer any advice. I do relate to what you say though about both loving and hating her. I felt that way about (now deceased) alcoholic husband.

As you rightly say this forum is very quiet, so it might be a good idea if you can repost in the main forum which will have people who know about drug issues. Thar forum is very active. Hopefully someone there will be able to help.

Below is a link to that forum -

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Last edited by PeacefulWater12; 06-08-2022 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added a little
Old 06-08-2022, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Hi, Lp...

I am so sorry about what you're going through. Most of us here have dealt with a loved one in our lives that have been captured by drug addiction. That your wife is going through it while she's expecting is a particular kind of awful. I can't imagine what that's like.

This is a situation that requires a lot of care. If you haven't already done so, I would find a counselor/therapist who can provide a neutral, experienced voice as you're going through this. You're about to have a bumpy ride, and I would prepare yourself for the worst. Addiction to opiates permanently alters the brain chemistry of the user, so they'll always be at risk.

Do your best to keep your head above water. Make sure you eat as well as you can and stay hydrated. And, like I said, prepare for the worst.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I’ll try posting in the main section instead.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LP
I don't have personal experience to share, as it is my son who is addicted to heroin.
Suboxone does seem to be the drug of choice when a female is pregnant, as it is safer than methodone. She definitely needs the subs, as going cold turkey could be really bad for the baby, and the can be born withdrawing - which is horrific to see, and of course, it's dangerous. Fingers crossed,she stopped the heroin before any permanent damage to the feotus occurred.
As others have said, don't ignore taking care of yourself too. You need the support to help you through.
I truly wish the best for you and your wife.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 06-12-2022, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sister had a baby while on methadone

My sister was addicted to oxcycontin when she was pregnant. She was put on methadone and when the baby was born they kept in the hospital and weaned him off the methadone over a month or so. Social services was involved but they were satisfied with her efforts to stay clean and that the baby was OK, and let them all go home in the end. I think having the baby gave her something to focus on to stay clean in the first few years, but unfortunately it didn't last. But thankfully there don't seem to be any long term physical or mental effects on her son who is 12 now. The only small concern we have is that at the time the doctors said they don't really know the long term effects of methadone in the womb, and it could affect things like metabolism so he may be prone to putting on weight, and no one knows how much more likely it is to make him prone to addiction in life as well. All we can do is watch.