SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   There Is Hope (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/296984-there-hope.html)

BeavsDad 06-06-2013 03:24 PM

There Is Hope

My RAS (23) has been in active recovery for 2 years today.

It was pure hell there for awhile, and we've all learned a lot about ourselves since then.
Thanks to all you other parents that have posted here since I joined. You've all helped in some manner.

It looks as though he may be coming back home to focus on education for a bit.

It makes me a bit anxious, but we love having him around.

Boundaries are set and crystal clear.

Here's to 2 years and 1 day...

Ann 06-06-2013 03:36 PM

That is so wonderful and just tickles my heart. How great this is for him and for you too.

You are a beacon of hope here and I am so glad his life is moving forward in such a positive way.

Hugs to you and hugs for your boy too. You both just made my day. :grouphug:

lizwig 06-06-2013 04:09 PM

Thanks Beavsdad! 2 years....Wow! That is great news! You have been such a support to people on here....I'm so happy for you, your son and your entire family. What a gift today had been for me reading all this good news. Love this site! Whatever I seem to need at the moment always seems to greet me....funny how that works.

Ilovemysonjj 06-06-2013 04:52 PM

What wonderful news, thank you BD!

GardenMama 06-06-2013 05:57 PM

I have so appreciated your comments and presence here this past year. Thanks for sharing your good news. All best wishes to you, your son and family.

allthatsgood 06-06-2013 06:10 PM

Beavs Dad, thank you for sharing your story of hope with all of us. So happy for you, your son and family.

Justfor1 06-06-2013 06:21 PM

It's good to see a success story. So often we read about the latest antics of the alcoholic/addict & it seems hopeless. People do recover .

Norma45 06-06-2013 06:27 PM

Thank you for sharing this... I have a friend who is in recovery at this very moment and I spoke with his dad tonight and told him about this website.. (I found you all about a week ago) anyway I told him there were moms, dads, brothers, sisters, girlfriends, boyfriends, wives, husbands as well as that recovering addict. It is so great to read this and see in your words the relationship that you and he share. Warms my heart :)

Kindeyes 06-06-2013 09:26 PM

Hope is wonderful. 2 years.....fantastic!! Healing......relationships.....priceless. Thanks for sharing your message of hope.
gentle hugs
ke

Vale 06-06-2013 09:59 PM

BD,
Thanks for throwing a log on the fire----sometimes it gets a little
cold.

Vale

cece1960 06-07-2013 04:02 AM

Great news!

Tinks65 06-07-2013 07:42 AM

Thanks for sharing! Rejoicing with you and your son today. I've always held on to the truth that addicts choose recovery every day. Hope is a beautiful thing, thanks for sharing yours with us!

Maylie 06-07-2013 07:47 AM

Thanks for sharing this wonderful moment! Sometimes we get so caught up in all the negatives we forget that there are many success stories.

I am in recovery myself. I love hearing stories of others in recovery pursuing their education and really moving forward in their lives.

I hope you two can enjoy each other when he comes home. Having boundaries is essential, but we must also remember how to be happy and enjoy each other also :) Although we don't ever want to be fooled again, we don't want to be so guarded we forget to embrace the good times and start making happy memories instead of the ones from the past that hang over our heads.

wiscsober 06-07-2013 07:57 AM

Proud of You

Wonderful news! I have three sons one in recovery and one actively using...the other boy isn't but is doing well. I am so glad to hear you persevered and living a life of emotional sobriety!:thanks

One of the most important things you have done and will do is setting boundaries...sometimes emotional boundaries are the best because they prevent verbal and physical abuse to the parents, siblings, and overall household.

Vale 06-07-2013 11:37 AM

People DO beat this.
I needed this post.

Thank You.

BeavsDad 06-08-2013 08:22 AM

We all know he's 1 bad decision away from the wild ride. But for today, we are happy. Thanks for the love everyone.

Lovenjoy 02-04-2014 08:32 PM

I'm new to SR and 2 years and 1 day! So awesome. My son is just beginning his road to recovery and this gives me hope! Much love to you and yours.

Nina Kay 02-04-2014 10:13 PM

That is such a beautiful share & a gift of hope. Thank you BeavsDad. I'm very happy for all of your family.

MRSH4 02-06-2014 01:42 PM

I realize your post is old and I hope you are still in a good place but I am wondering what your boundaries were?

BeavsDad 02-06-2014 03:27 PM

The main ones are:
I will not have an active addict living in my home.
I will not tolerate disrespect.