D
Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ay-2-a-20.html

Have a good Thanksgiving GonnaChange

D
You beat me to it. Sorry for having to make you put in the effort.

Thanks about the holiday Dee. A race in the morning with my wife and daughter and the balance of the day surrounded by family, friends, and good food while also watching (American) football. All is very good which is reinforced by the spirit of tomorrow's holiday.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving to you and yours, GC.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The run went well, I've gotten a head start on tomorrow's cooking, and we'll be leaving soon to celebrate the holiday.

:-)
Old 11-26-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

No effort GC - I always have to close the old one anyway

D
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone involved with yesterday's party, and most especially the host and hostess, did a wonderful job. Since all my attempts to help were turned down I did my best to show my appreciation by eating.

My ABIL was there and his repeated sneaking of drinks became increasingly apparent as the celebration went on. As far as I know, which is not much, he didn't do anything totally foolish, but did say some stupid things to a couple of his nephews. The one upside is that he wasn't driving so he wasn't putting himself or anyone else in danger. It's just down right disturbing to see him lamely trying to be covert; the house is BIG (it also has an elevator) and where the hard liquor is kept can be accessed via two doors, one of which is not really visible from the vantage points of where most people where hanging before dinner. Guess which entrance he used? [/Rhetorical] Wine and beer were in plain sight so he stayed away from that. That's he drinking is the epitome of a non secret secret, but he believes that he's fooling those who truly love and care about him. Given that he wasn't doing anything overtly ridiculous yesterday and the fact that I was a guest along with all of his siblings and parents it was not my place to say anything, but I did have to spend some time with my kids and some of my nieces and nephews to help them make sense of what they were witnessing. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who had to do so. If it were my house it would have and has been different when he's pulled that crap.

We brought the puppy and she was about as well behaved as we could have hoped for. There were three other dogs and they were all exhausted as the party wound down. I had high hopes for her to sleep in this morning, but that wasn't the case. Fortunately we didn't go to bed late so we're relatively well rested and ready to take on the responsibilities of hosting.

Since I don't have an elevator in my house it's time to walk downstairs to take the rosemary focaccia bread out of the oven.

SR, enjoy what's left of your respective day.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yesterday's party went very well and afterward, as we do every last Friday of the month, went to see an acquaintance's band at a local pub.

This morning I got a short run done before the rain started and pretty much since then I've been lazing around the house with my family. Between the weather and the two previous hectic yet fun days it's a fine way to pass some hours.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nothing Goes To Waste

Yesterday continued to be a lazy day after I posted here although I was productive in the kitchen. After the Thanksgiving Day party I took home two turkey carcasses and yesterday stripped them of enough meat for our lunch as well as the protein in the turkey noodle soup I made after simmering the remains for a few hours. There's still plenty of broth leftover; a few portions are being refrigerated and the majority I froze for future use. Most of what I froze is in a large container, but I took some and filled up an ice cube tray so that when I come across a recipe calling for a little broth or wine I can just use my turkey cubes and stay away from cooking with alcohol and in the case of the former not have to use any commercial product and have leftovers. Lastly, in a couple of days I may use what's in the refrigerator as the base for a lentil soup.

I'll be walking the puppy in a little while and after that plan on watching some football.

Happy Sunday SR!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
The run went well, I've gotten a head start on tomorrow's cooking, and we'll be leaving soon to celebrate the holiday.

:-)
Good to hear that the run went well, GC.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Nothing Goes To Waste

Yesterday continued to be a lazy day after I posted here although I was productive in the kitchen. After the Thanksgiving Day party I took home two turkey carcasses and yesterday stripped them of enough meat for our lunch as well as the protein in the turkey noodle soup I made after simmering the remains for a few hours. There's still plenty of broth leftover; a few portions are being refrigerated and the majority I froze for future use. Most of what I froze is in a large container, but I took some and filled up an ice cube tray so that when I come across a recipe calling for a little broth or wine I can just use my turkey cubes and stay away from cooking with alcohol and in the case of the former not have to use any commercial product and have leftovers. Lastly, in a couple of days I may use what's in the refrigerator as the base for a lentil soup.

I'll be walking the puppy in a little while and after that plan on watching some football.

Happy Sunday SR!
That's one efficient use of a turkey carcass, GC; very impressive.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Good to hear that the run went well, GC.
Thanks SL. I hope you had a fine Thanksgiving.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have more time to give a more complete answer. First, thanks again. I've been doing this for forever and whatever family member is hosting usually just bags the carcasses without asking because they assume I'll take them. Each year I offer to share "my" carcasses, but to date nobody wants to deal with the process so I take them with a clear conscious. Besides getting all that is edible from the bones the hardest part is making sure you're around to monitor, occasionally stir, adjust seasonings, and in my case remove most of the fat. And if a block of time isn't available in the near future the carcasses can be frozen until it's a more convenient time.

In the end, aside from a small amount of active work I'm getting the basis for multiple healthy and tasty meals for free. I can live with that.

Today

I had a horrible night's sleep and woke up with breathing issues. Still I made it to the gym this morning where at one point my trainer asked me if I was okay. Fortunately I've been breathing relatively normal for the past couple of hours.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Really sorry about the breathing issues, GC. Glad it seems to have cleared up, though. Are you coming down with a cold perhaps?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's one of those dreary days. Not terribly cold, about 42F/5C, but it's lightly raining and everything seems colder than it really is. I'm supposed to run, but even though I know once I get going I'll be fine I'm lacking motivation to actually do it, something extremely rare for me. Maybe there's something in the air because even the puppy is unusually mellow. There's still time to get out there and I always have the option of using the cardio equipment at my gym if I don't feel like dealing with the elements, but I really detest indoor cardio so if I do get motivated I'll likely run outside.

While motivation for physical activity is low my motivation for reading my book club book is high since I have a meeting on Friday and just started the book this morning. This is by design and not due to procrastination; the book isn't very long so I know I can comfortably finish it in time.

Dinner tonight is going to be a smorgasbord; we have a lot of leftovers from Thanksgiving, the party we hosted, and recent dinners and I want to use them while they are still fresh and also clear some room in my refrigerator. After dinner I'll probably continue reading and hopefully get to bed at a reasonable hour.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a bit warmer here but, yes, dreary.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's a bit warmer here but, yes, dreary.
Not surprising; we usually have similar weather with you being slightly warmer.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Really sorry about the breathing issues, GC. Glad it seems to have cleared up, though. Are you coming down with a cold perhaps?
Thanks SL. No, I'm not coming down with a cold. It was just one of those bad breathing days and fortunately things are much better now.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I eventually decided to fight the inertia and went on a 4 mile run. As expected it was fine once I got going with the exception, also expected, of having the rain rein (see what I did there?) havoc with my glasses. One of the reasons I almost always wear contacts, but I took them out yesterday.

Dinner tonight is still going to be what I wrote about before, but my wife made a late decision to meet some friends for dinner so there will be more leftover leftovers (see what I did there?)
than I anticipated.

After dinner plans are still the same: reading and then positioning myself to get a good night's sleep so I'm well rested to move some iron at the gym tomorrow AM.

Curiosity

This afternoon while I taking stock of the leftovers for dinner I came across a mostly finished bottle of V8, a tomato based vegetable juice blend in case it's not an internationally distributed item, that we bought for some forgotten reason. And I had some. And it immediately made me think of a bloody mary. As I've been clear about from the start of my being a member of SR we have a fully stocked wet bar in the basement so vodka was easily available and I also had all of the other ingredients that I use for the drink. The thought crossed my mind to have one, just one, but I played it through and decided otherwise. Small victories add up to larger movements.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

rain rein

leftover leftovers

Very clever, GC.

Great job nixing the Bloody Mary.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the acknowledgment SL about the word play.

About the Bloody, I seriously gave it some thought and am glad I made the decision I did.

Wishing you a fine evening.