Notices

Stupid things we did to hide our drinking?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Stupid things we did to hide our drinking?

(at least we thought we were hiding it!)

1) I'd stop at the grocery store for a small item (like a gallon of milk) and get cash back on the debit card to buy liquor. That way a charge to the liquor store wouldn't show up on my bank statement!

2) Started buying cheapie canadian whiskey in the plastic bottles. They were flat, easier to hide, didn't make noise and I could burn them when empty.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I reckon we've all done all of the things.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has carried around an Aquafina bottled filled with Vodka at a family gathering. Amateur hour, but effective.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a space behind a shelf that could fit four bottles of wine. When I got sober for good, I showed my daughter where I used to hide it. She had to admit she'd never thought to look there. So glad I don't do that anymore.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Vodka in gatorade. The thought repulses me now.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Removing cheap bladders (goon sacks) from the cask cardboard- and having a towel to wrap it in- (do this in the public toilet) so it did not puncture on the way home
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to go in to shop buy six tons of ready mixed gin, then go to the toilet in store and down three and tell o.h I only bought three, he always said he could tell if I'd been drinking when he got home from work by my eyes so I used to put make up on and put my glasses on, how pathetic was I x
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Who among here has tried replacing water with vodka?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took a large amount of my empty bottles to a recycling collection point near my house so no one would see them in the trash.

Also, one time I tried peeing in empty bottles so I wouldn't have to walk to the toilet and risk waking people up when I was drinking in the middle of the night. It didn't work too well though.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I pretty much did it all - I don't think sharing this kind of stuff is a great idea. Much like when I was an anorexic teen and I scoured the library for books on eating disorders so I could learn the tricks others used to stay skinny, I don't think it's constructive to give those who might be reading and considering accepting their problem and quitting any ideas.

Just my $0.02.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sprayed my shirt with WD 40 to cover up the alcohol smell at work.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never bought beer at the same place twice in the same week. I had my Monday store, my Tuesday store, etc. That way the store clerks/owners wouldn't think I was an alcoholic and that I only bought a large quantity of beer once a week.

I always had a bottle of liquor stashed in my bedroom. So everybody thought I was just drinking a couple of beers but I would sneak away several times a day and take slugs off my bottle.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has carried around an Aquafina bottled filled with Vodka at a family gathering. Amateur hour, but effective.
amateur hour
Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I pretty much did it all - I don't think sharing this kind of stuff is a great idea. Much like when I was an anorexic teen and I scoured the library for books on eating disorders so I could learn the tricks others used to stay skinny, I don't think it's constructive to give those who might be reading and considering accepting their problem and quitting any ideas.

Just my $0.02.
Precisely my first thoughts, and I too have looked up pro-ana blogs and vlogs. I have noticed youtube has really cracked down, which is great.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

i tried to rotate stores so they woudlnt catch on to my consumption levels. when the one clerk noticed my name at one store he said his father and my father are good friends etc.. I never went back to that store after that.

I'd take out the trash before bed if ic ould manage to so that i could hide the amt of empties. Or i'd at least take it out one time so the number of empties would seem less.

I'd keep my beer in a seperate fridge so my wife couldnt tell just how many i had or had drank etc..

reading this thread and my AV is like oh wow yeah thats a good idea i never thought to do that.

luckily otherwise i did not have to hide much. since i sobered up tho i wont time went through a phase for about 4 months where iw as plotting a relapse and came up with all sorts of elaborate ways i could hide my new drinking habit from the family. I really thought long and hard about it. and ya know in the end what got me? I thought ugg i dont wanna hide it tho i wanna be able to do it out in the open again like i once did and that will never fly then I just gave up on the fantasy knowing it would never work out how i was thinking.

the AV is very cunning.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got probation from of course DUI back before they tested for alcohol on probation. I was 'drunk' and DUI from 4 beers give me a break.

I put all the beer cans down the storm drain on the corner in case that probation guy looked in my trash. At least an 18 pack a day.

Many months and thousands of beer cans later it rained really really hard they floated up and a large number of those beer cans were now all over the street. 100s and 100s of them all the neighbors saw kneqw it was me.

I was always scared that probation guy was going to come knocking interrupting my drinking , so I bought a video camera and mounted it on the house.

Saw him coming once so I did not answer the door, he went in my back yard where I could not see and waited I guess for me to come home.

I was stuck in my TV room for what seemed like hours with no beer cause I could not get to the refrigerator or get my cigarettes without walking past the windows you could see in from the back yard.

I actually considered busting a hole in the Sheetrock to get in the living room to crawl along the floor to get at the beer. It was a long torturous wait for that guy to leave. Please please get out of here, I don't feel like being kidnapped by the government right now, I know you jerk wads need revenue but I am busy.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by BetterNow2017 View Post
I sprayed my shirt with WD 40 to cover up the alcohol smell at work.
Wow. Never thought of that one. I heard of people keeping half and onion in a ziplock bag. Bite into it to mask the breath.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Wow. Never thought of that one. I heard of people keeping half and onion in a ziplock bag. Bite into it to mask the breath.
What really smells is that stuff called liquid wrench someone nick named it liquid stench. Lots of stuff out in that storage by the riding mower for cover smell. I don't know what the big deal was if I was having a few drinks working on the grounds, I wasn't wasted just sipping on that bottle I picked up for lunch but people have to make big deals out of things that don't matter.

This was years ago on Long Island in NY the epicenter of everything that's wrong with the USA. Highest taxes the most abusive corrupt local governments always a hassle non stop 'war on fun' always after more of your money causing people to be just angry and mean. I still resent the place.

I should make a topic instead of derailing this one on the geographic 'cure' for addiction. After moving a long long distance away much happier and you know what they say about spiritual condition.

New topic yes.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sat at home by myself and, drank myself into a stupor. At the end I'd say I have no memory or at best a very fuzzy memory of about five months worth of evenings. Pretty pathetic.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I split the empties between several bins. Couple of cider bottles at home...the rest would go in my work bag.

I would drop a couple in various randomly selected bins on my route to work...one close to where I lived the others further away.

I still don't know who the hell I thought was watching!

I even hid empties when I lived on my own. If you asked me why I would have no clue...just seemed. ..well important

P