Notices

Stupid things we did to hide our drinking?

Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Travissss View Post
After a few months sober, I was living with my parents and I decided it would be a great idea to drink and play video games, so I started buying the airplane bottles of liquor and the giant drinks from Sonic. Mixing in with soda everytime I went out for a smoke. They never caught on that I know of.
That's exactly what I did!

Every morning at precisely 10 am I'd get 3 airplane bottles of vodka from the liquor store. Next I'd go to the McDonalds drive-thru and get a large Diet Coke, then park and dump half out. Then I'd add the vodka and make it a triple!

I only did it with vodka, not the more natural rum; I had heard that vodka had no odor.

False!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I've heard of people who drink mouthwash, and I saw it on Intervention. that seems insanely hard on your liver. I was used to drinking pretty good quantities and getting really drunk, really fast, so I don't think a bottle of mouthwash would have done it for me. I was in pretty bad shape, so it's good I never got into swigging mouthwash. I heard reports of people drinking handsanitizer...I never got to the level either, but I was probably headed that way.

Listerine isn't too bad going down, coming up isn't as good. Never heard of hand sanitizer though. Gross!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I'd wake up at 3 am to go dump my empties in a neighborhood church's recycle bin LOL
Old 05-06-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I once heard of people drinking Lysol disinfectant in the brown glass bottle.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Different dumpsters. Different stores so they wouldn't think I frequented them too often. Convenience store drinks the same color as the wine of my choice to refill them, those I took to work to ward off the shakes. The camper van in water bottles to look like the other water bottles I kept on hand, which got me to driving the camper van as my daily driver. Kept wine and beer in there, too, room temp be danged. Empty beer cans under the house from drinking them outside out of site. Travel sized containers spread out in the house, purse, and in the car if I drove that. When I lived alone I'd stock up and hide it around the house, where I could get to it in private, usually the bathroom, so I could get to it, when I'd have visitors. Hid the big packs of beer and only put a few in the fridge, barely allowing anyone to see that small amount in the fridge.

God. I. Was. Sick.!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU GOD for helping me escape that madness.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Oh wow, thought I was the only person to do stupid things to hide drinking lol. I have this crate thing in my room that I used to stash all my empty 6-packs in. Then when I was home alone, I'd get a garbage bag and empty the crate, and take the trash to this apartment complex about 10 min. from to house to dispose. Also, I kept an empty water jug ( a gallon) in my room to urinate to avoid waking people up at 3am.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cooligan View Post
Oh wow, thought I was the only person to do stupid things to hide drinking lol. I have this crate thing in my room that I used to stash all my empty 6-packs in. Then when I was home alone, I'd get a garbage bag and empty the crate, and take the trash to this apartment complex about 10 min. from to house to dispose. Also, I kept an empty water jug ( a gallon) in my room to urinate to avoid waking people up at 3am.
welcome, cooligan. theres nothing unique about yer drinkin or actions.
found myself pretty amazed when I got into AA that I wasn't the only one who thought or acted like I did- finding a group of people that had been in my shoes and had gotten sober.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
welcome, cooligan. theres nothing unique about yer drinkin or actions.
found myself pretty amazed when I got into AA that I wasn't the only one who thought or acted like I did- finding a group of people that had been in my shoes and had gotten sober.
Welcome to the forum Cooligan. I completely agree with Tom, there is not a stupid thing that a newcomer has done that at least one of us hasn't done too. Isn't it cool to be among friends and not to have to be self conscious?

Another stupid thing I did (not to conceal my drinking though) was that I was a beer drinker so I would make myself vomit so I could drink more and not gain weight
Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Welcome to the forum Cooligan. I completely agree with Tom, there is not a stupid thing that a newcomer has done that at least one of us hasn't done too. Isn't it cool to be among friends and not to have to be self conscious?
This!

It's so nice to speak freely without judgment or condemnation.