Notices

Back and forth with caffeine

Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think I'll go get a 2nd cup of coffee!
I love the taste, I love the feel. Can't drink it past about 2pm though. If I need a milder "pick me up," it's green tea.
Oh, and those chocolate espresso beans!! Thanks for the reminder. Coffee flavored Chobani Greek yogurt is real good too.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Maybe calico, just might. I was aware of the espresso fact, I learned, I think... as barista many years ago. Or somewhere along the way.

And yet I never considered it... I like my big mug. But I do like an after meal espresso from time to time.

I had forgotten all about cappuccino and foam...foamy foam.

Good idea.

What I really need is a dog to snuggle with too. Please feel free to share all dog details!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

not to rain on the thread but i slept like garbage again last night and am sitting here going caffine or no caffine caffine or no caffine... I had it the past 2 days and I really dont want to start the habit again but geeze i have slept like crap for a few days now.

too much going through my head at night latley i get in bed and the brains like YIPPEEEE lets stay up all night solving the problems fo the world and i'm liek NOONOOOOO
Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh, no biggie zjw... I am still awake from yesterday. no sleep yet. Going on a week of daytime crashing out and up all night- sleeping after about 21-24 hours or so.

Decaf here though. I have to meet a friend on a couple hours too.

Now to shower and put concealer on my hard earned under eye baggage...
Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i just took a 100mg pill EFF it.

sleepie i know that sleep routine well. I'd be up for days on end with very little sleep then i'd crash then i'd do it all over again. I wish i new why. Most of the time it was miserable. But oddly i had one period of that cycle where iw as oddly super energetic go figure? i'll never figure that one out.

A very hard one for me is after 5pm or so i cant have to much stimulation. so suspenseful tv shows. I cant go anywhere. I cant go socialize with people. even going to the store or something is too much stimulation for me. and I'll end up stareing at the ceiling all night unable to sleep. I have this figured out for the most part now. But for example weds night i go to band practice I get home i'm all wired cant sleep. Thursdays IF i go to AA its the same routine. so some of these activities are great and all but i pay the price becuase i then cant sleep at night and have miserable days to follow.

lack of sleep or lack of quality sleep is hands down one of my biggest issues still. I've really weeded out all the toher various culprits that screw with my well being. but the sleep one is tough. I also have a toddler in bed with me every night too smacks me kicks me etc.. all night long this goes on.

oh and i sleep on the floor... ::facepalm:: I cant seem to find a mattress that i can sleep on so i gave up i sleep on the floor like a dog.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
sober style

I love coffee
I love tea
I love the java jive, and it loves me

Old 12-03-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thought this would be a nice song for this thread:

Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My wife is from Peru and they drink their coffee STRONG. I will not drink caffeine after noon. Not even a soda. If I do, I will not sleep.

On the flip side, if I don't have my one big cup in the morning, I'm dragging.

note: when drinking, a strong cup of coffee was an adventure, sometimes it would set me straight, sometimes make me shake, sometimes make me puke. Never knew.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drink coffee all day, at least ten cups. Doesn't seem to bother my sleeping tho. I love coffee. My daughter sent me a grinder and now I grind my beans fresh each day.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I definitely feel like I need coffee, it helps me start my day, but if I had a physical side effect like a headache, jitters or tummy troubles, I decrease intake. So it's a habit that I could replace with more healthy things like more water, but I don't feel guilty about it because it's not so bad for me and it doesn't really control me.

I can take or leave cigarettes and I generally only buy a pack when I've had a bad day. I will then usually finish the pack, two or three smokes a day if I'm driving, none if I'm not, but really won't smoke compulsively, unless I am really having a bad week and obsessing over something. For me cigarettes are a little closer to a vice than caffeine, and could probably be considered a stepping stone between "coping mechanism" and "addiction" mindset.. SO I try to keep it under control.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by least View Post
I drink coffee all day, at least ten cups. Doesn't seem to bother my sleeping tho. I love coffee. My daughter sent me a grinder and now I grind my beans fresh each day.
Jealous if I could I'd just let my body filter coffee all day.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

1 real strong cup of joe to help me start the work day off right. I literally need that first cup as soon as I wake up to help me get focused and in the "zone" so to speak. Its been such a habit that I truly don't know any other way to function without it. Oh well. Definitely better for my health than cigarettes.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

omg least! Who knew our little least is a coffee fueled machine, must need it to keep up with the house full of creatures lol.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have 6 cups (two of those small pots) every morning from 6am to noon. Nothing after that or I have sleep issues. Can't seem to get away from it. I just LOVE the taste of coffee. In the States I blend decaf beans 50/50 with regular for the second small pot. Don't like the taste of decaf only.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Not really back and forth, in the past several years (while sober and before) my patterns of coffee comsumption tends to be 1-2 cups in the morning mostly. Sometimes another one later in the day, but I don't drink coffee after 4-5 pm. I like coffee and I think in this dosage it is beneficial for me, but even a bit more than that can increase my anxiety very noticeably. I never thought that I should quit completely. I used to drink coffee much like least describes (when I was much younger) but now I am happy with the amount I have and don't crave more. I also sometimes enjoy going for a coffee with other people as a social activity. I never drink decaf.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
zjw

i oddly sleep better and more sound on days that i've had coffee. BUT i wake up the following morning more groggy and begging for a cup of coffee to get going. But when I dont drink coffee i sleep a little lighter but i dont wake up draggen but quite as bad.

Even on my most rested days where i feel the best. There is somethign about that kick you get from coffee that I dunno that you can get from anything else.

so sometimes even when i'm super rested and feeling great i'll have some just to really get cranken! which is probably bad but oh well lol.

i decided tommorrow tho i'm going back off it i've been on it for 4 days now and its already buggen me.

I think i get adrenal fatigue from it or osmething i duno.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I haven't had any coffee in 48 hours and I feel pretty good today.

I slept good and my anxiety level is pretty low.

I have been slowly tapering off of caffeine the last several weeks.

I do love coffee but with these panic attacks and the anxiety I have been experiencing the caffeine is bad news.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Kuerigs make it to easy too sigh..
Yep, this has been my "problem"! To think I was skeptical how much I'd actually use my one-cup when I got it as a gift last Christmas. After I quit drinking (9.5 months ago) I soon began on the flavored pods.

For the first 100 ish days I was back to being a diet coke fiend (working at Chick-Fil-A didn't help that once I let myself start) then to the coffee. In the past 1-2 months, I realized how insanely much I was drinking- and how late in the day. Even after a dinner shift at the restaurant I could have a cup around midnight and be in bed an hour later.

Now, I drink a good amount but not after 2ish pm. I usually plan my am (2-3 10 oz keurig cups) and one more 11am ish, or later if I am off that day. Tummy feels better and I think it's just better for me overall.

I also drink a lot of water and non-caff bev (diet Sprite in particular) and am trying to up that ratio more.

However....unless coffee/caffeine makes me feel bad, I don't worry about it.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I go back and forth with the caffeine too Sleeps. I gave it up for awhile and now am back to having about 2 cups in the AM. I switch to decaf after that and it works for me. I get esophageal reflux in my throat and caffeine is the last thing I do that contributes to it. I don't need coffee and sugar anymore since I got free of the alcohol cycle. I still like a little but I find it winds me up now,
Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I drink copious amounts of coffee and diet soft drinks (aspartame, stevia, splenda and, occasionally a Tab (saccharine)).

I sleep great at night.