Notices

Back and forth with caffeine

Old 12-02-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and forth with caffeine

I am back and forth with caffeine. I celebrated the day I was able to drink my regular coffees again. But now I am back to decaf... I seem to get sweaty and sometimes kind of lightheaded after my regular coffee.

Almost a year sober.

Anyone else go back and forth with this?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am 53 years old.

I really didn't start drinking a lot of coffee on a regular basis until I was in my early 30's. At that time I had a job where we always have a pot of coffee brewed - so I drank it all day long.

Into my 40's my wife started buying the high powered stuff and we sometimes even ground our own beans. Around 10 years ago that high powered brew started making me nervous and anxious so I quit coffee.

I eventually got back into it and up until 39 days ago, when I quit drinking alcohol, I was consuming two 20 ounce cups of the high powered coffee every morning. I have had panic attacks and anxiety for months and since I quit the booze I have pretty much quit the coffee too. I drink a few sips just to try and stop the headaches and shake the groggy feelings but I plan to give it up entirely due to my anxiety issues.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Oh yeah sleepie I'm guilty of this one I've been on decaf again now for a few months with some random caffeinated days. Well then yes I did not sleep well the night prior so I took 100mg of caffeine then today I did it again gulp... I'm hoping I'm not starting this nonsense up again but I might be lol. For me it starts of great but after a week or so I start having issues. I mean I guess even on day one it will cause my Ming to race and my anxiety to go up.

It's a back and forth battle for me and mainly because of sleep issues sigh
Old 12-02-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

I am definitely back and forth about caffeine these days, sleepie. I have this AeroPress thing I was making really strong coffee with, delicious coffee, and I was flying on it at first, and then it wore out its welcome bigtime. Wild mood swings ensued, no fun.

I'm back on the nasty Tasters Choice instant right now and tapering down to zero, in theory. We'll see how that goes.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

Back when I drank it took a 14 cup pot each morning to get me going... I saw no problem with that either till I did a little research then when I quit that cold turkey holy horrific and stupid that was I will never cold turkey caffeine quit again hahha always ween off when I quit.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

Kuerigs make it to easy too sigh..
Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

Damnit now I'm thinking of brewing a decaf see what you did! Lol
Old 12-02-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hate breaking up with coffee even if it's only temporary. I don't even care about the caffeine I just love the taste so much it's like getting a big hug. Decaf tastes totally different!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I hate breaking up with coffee even if it's only temporary. I don't even care about the caffeine I just love the taste so much it's like getting a big hug. Decaf tastes totally different!
Oh yeah coffee is absolutely awesome. And some of the health nuts I hang around think it's of the devil along with chocolate lol not me chocolate powder in my smoothies and coffee I see no issue there to good to part ways with.

I think there is a taste diff as well but I think mainly there are just better options on caffeinated.

I did have to learn to drink it black when I got all neurotic about diet. But that doesn't bother me.

What about chocolate covered espresso beans... any takers ?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dark chocolate and coffee are my only pleasures anymore
Old 12-02-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yes those chocolate espresso beans are an absolute delight... crunchy texture, a bit oily and hopefully covered in dark chocolate. I'm only good for a few though.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

Coffee ice cream is ok too years agoe baskin Robbins had that cappuccino blast they called it good god I could eat them all day long lol.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Now you're talkin'.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drink quite a bit of coffee and have no intention of giving it up.

I sweat too, always have. Not sure if it's coffee related or anxiety. I also run kind of hot.

I phase in some mint tea throughout the day to drink a little less coffee, and I also converted to black coffee (as long as it's good coffee.)

I noticed this morning that I was having some troubles concentrating so I think I'll slow it down /a bit/ but I've no intention of giving it up or switching to decaf.

CJ.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now that I think of it I have been having "sweats" since way before I even drank. And even back then when it was cold I'd sometimes get a sweat as if my body was trying to warm up.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

I run hotter if I eat meat I've heard the term meat sweats. I've heard some complain they run hotter if they eat fats. It might not be a bad thing. I also run hotter if I'm not running like if I take a day off from running I'll run hotter.

Dunno what all this means just my 2 cents lol
Old 12-02-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sweating has been a problem for me for a long time. It's probably mostly mental.

I used meditation this AM to get my concentration back. I should meditate more, throughout the day but I haven't formed the habit.

Ever tried it for your sweats Sleepie?

CJ
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have years ago. But now I have panic attacks during trying to do it. Last time was so bad I am afraid to even try again.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I tried to kick caffeine a few years ago. I couldn't hack cutting it out totally, so I just cut back. I was never into coffee, so I drink diet soda. I know, I know, not the healthiest choice, but I try not to over do it. I also enjoy my sweets, but also try to keep it in moderation. Gotta have SOME fun in life
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Little coffee fact for you. The longer the water spends in the grinds, the more caffeine will be infused. People think espresso is high in caffeine - but it's not, because the water is pumped through the ground beans in seconds, resulting in a rich flavour with less caffeine than drip or pressed.

I make cappuccino every morning. I have a Breville espresso machine (small) and it is one of my favourite things to have two cappuccinos snuggled in bed with my sweet dog. I only drink two and only in the morning and have no issues with that amount of caffeine.

So, if you can, I'd highly recommend you buy yourself an espresso machine.

CF