Notices

Procrastination

Old 10-06-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I like this thread :-)

I'm off to snoozeville right now...typing lying down. Will ponder this and report back on the morrow.....

I know, right?! That's what I thought!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Dropsie - I'm going to pledge to do 3 things this afternoon that I'm putting off as my 'what I'm going to do today to break the cycle' move. I have to write up some notes, complete and send off a job application, and do some work around the house. Yikes! Okay.......nose to the grindstone.....

Hope you are all having a good day/night :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
now's the time

I took the day off from real work, although I still had retail work. Unfortunately it's only the work I care about that stresses me out! Hoping that today's de-escalation of stress will pay off tomorrow.

Dropsie, yes... trusting that things will work out is something that I seem to do only when I shouldn't. It's hard to summon it when it would be beneficial.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I still haven't done my job application. I have a week and a half to get it in, but that's not the point. Procrastination is!!!

Note to self:

How are you guys?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey friends,

Having a hard time the last day or two.

Cant seem to stay on task and wondering what is the point?? Not usually my style, but being totally honest, its how I feel.

And it really does mainly boil down to work and money, two things that I could always take for granted in the past.

Funny how that works -- you get your act together in one area, which was a biggie, and then another that was never an issue comes up and bites you in the butt.

And the real pain comes from the fact that I know that I am objectively in trouble, but I am not able to do the things that could subjectively help.

Ok so this is making me cry, but thanks for reaching out.

FT -- hope your downtime destress helps, main point is whether it does or not, not to guilt over it, you needed it!

Shabby -- do your application now if you can, that is what my boyfriend would do and he is the king of peace of mind.

Weird thing is that our brains can't distinguish whether an undone job is big or small -- the worry is the same.

May productivity be with you....
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome fluffer and fly-n-buy, and thanks.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I was so incredibly tired today - couldn't do much at all. I think my body is still recovering from all the abuse. Ended up having to go back to bed in the afternoon for a sleep. I've started drinking raw vegetable juices everyday in the hope my energy picks up a bit.

I'm the queen of getting my act together in one way and then sabotaging a different aspect of my butt. It's a bit like whack-a-mole. Still, I'm really happy I'm not drinking. Mr TS and I went to see some comedy at a bar last night and I didn't feel the urge to drink. Pretty revolutionary for me. Up early tomorrow to go to my brother's to watch the rugby. I never knew what the mornings looked like on weekends before I gave up drinking!

Hope you guys have a great weekend :-)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I have a heightened procrastination issue also. Not with sobriety, which actually does inspire me to do substantially more things than otherwise, but with quitting cigarettes.
I just can't do anything once I quit. Or I can--- but boy do I not want to.
There's lots of reasons, but the #1 is that no matter what I do I will want want a cigarette. I will want a cigarette before starting, I will want a cigarette in the middle, and I will want a cigarette when I finish.
No matter what, each thing I set out to do comes paired with three moments of conscious withdrawal.
It's depressing. And extremely challenging. So instead of doing anything I do nothing; it's borderline frightening how much I sleep once I haven't any cigarettes--- but then push comes to shove and I have to do something and then go out and buy a pack so to get it done, and this goes on for a month or more before I remember to try and quit again.

So yes; I get this problem all too well!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

We are planning to give up smoking next week.......scary :-/ We have an electronic cigarette which we used last time we gave up and it worked really well. Didn't 'replace' smoking entirely, but reduced cravings by a significant amount. After a couple of weeks of using that we just ditched it altogether. Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

I remember Stephen Fry saying that for years he found it incredibly difficult to write without smoking, but I think he eventually overcame it. I think we definitely associate smoking with various activities....talking on the phone, after a meal, etc....it's a curse!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
now's the time

Dropsie, I get into that "what is the point" thinking as well. Particularly career-wise. I'm a person who is extremely driven when I'm emotionally engaged, but otherwise I just kind of shrug and wander off. I think that's a big mechanism right now... my fear is keeping me from emotionally engaging, which is making it hard for me to work, which feeds the fear...

Quiet, cigarettes are so hard to quit. I'm down to one or two a day, sometimes none, but can't kick it entirely. It's so frustrating. And it's true, I definitely link them to effort as well... it's like the punctuation mark when something's accomplished! I really need a substitute for that.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
now's the time

TS - Yes! Weekend mornings are such a dream. I was sleepy this week as well. Sometimes the body just takes precedent. When is your job application due?

I'm still working on the project that I meant to finish whenever this thread was first started!! Terrible. But I think it's in much better shape than it would have been... I don't know how to turn the perfectionism off. I really should have done a draft version and instead I went full-on. And I've still got a few more days' work I think.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Need to get something done for work, which of course led me to post instead -- plus wanted to check in with my buds.

Anybody have any thoughts on his to beat this sucker? Things that have worked in the past? For others??

I know its a psychological problem, so very individual, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Welcome Quiet -- Interesting the relationship between smoking and getting things done. I quit smoking 35 years ago (scary thought) and found it so hard I think because its such a strong physical addition, not to mention the head stuff. In fact, after I quit, the fact that it had been so hard kept me quit because I NEVER wanted to do that again .

Fantail -- I know the feeling, and I am so jealous and respectful of people that can just crank it out and keep things moving. So if I know those are the people I respect why cant I do it??

Shabs -- just had a lie in myself, which was not what the doctor ordered rkwise, but was nice. And it is Columbus Day somewhere...
Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Missing you guys and gals -- hope you are busy doing something productive.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Lol......sort of :-)

Busy couple of days work-wise. I started getting cold feet about that job I was going to apply for. I'm a bit frightened to make the commitment. I 'should' apply for it, but am feeling a bit chicken about it. I still have a couple of days. I think I will apply and see what happens. Throw caution to the wind.

Speaking of wind, I had a good cackle on Sleepie's thread at your 'Hurricane Fantail' comment, Fantail. Hilarious. It's not pretty the carnage that's left over after we swing through our lives, is it? Heh heh :-)

Wishing you all the very best today (((hugs)))
Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Dropsie, I get into that "what is the point" thinking as well. Particularly career-wise. I'm a person who is extremely driven when I'm emotionally engaged, but otherwise I just kind of shrug and wander off. I think that's a big mechanism right now... my fear is keeping me from emotionally engaging, which is making it hard for me to work, which feeds the fear...

Quiet, cigarettes are so hard to quit. I'm down to one or two a day, sometimes none, but can't kick it entirely. It's so frustrating. And it's true, I definitely link them to effort as well... it's like the punctuation mark when something's accomplished! I really need a substitute for that.
If you want to quit smoking, try listening to this audiobook by Allen Carr. What do you have to lose?

Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thank you, Fluffer :-) I will definitely listen to that with my partner. We both want to give up after this packet.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Good luck, Tooshabby. Believe me, quitting smoking is a huge improvement in quality of life. Richard Branson and many others have quit using Carr's method. For me the most important realization was that I didn't even enjoy smoking a cigarette while I was doing it, it was all driven by the fear of withdrawal.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm noticing that - I don't even enjoy it. Why would you? Breathing smoke into your lungs. It does nothing for you - makes even less sense than drinking. Really stupid when you stop to think about it. I won't get withdrawals either because I don't smoke enough and have never got them in the past when I've given up. As you say, nothing to lose!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
now's the time

Here, but not productive! I really had a lot to do today, too. I ended up mostly sleeping. I'm getting a bit concerned about my health. I'll have to get to a doctor but for insurance reasons I can't for a couple weeks.

Luckily I think I've hit a break through in the project I'm working on... I think I've cleared the major learning hurdles and now I can do my old pretend-I'm-in-college-and-it's-finals-week routine and get through the rest of it. If I can stay awake that is!!! $%&!!

TS, Hurricane Fantail was the underreported disaster of the century!

Fluffer, thanks for the advice & the link! I've heard good things about Carr. I'll try giving it a whirl.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I also loved Fantail's hurricane, national disaster comment -- to which I could completely relate. I was also thinking about her emotional energy point, and its so true.

I wonder whether procrastinating really is just like drinking in the sense that we are afraid of something and to avoid that fear or to try and control it we procrastinate in the same way we would drink.

I have read Lance Dodds work on addiction and it resonated with me. I realised that often it was not the drink as much as the idea of drinking that allowed me to gain control over something in my life.

So, what if we treated the "do it later" voice the same way we would that our "one drink is ok" voice and kick it to the curb. Sounds simplistic I know, but AVRT has worked for so many people, why not us with our other devil.

I have also been trying something really weird which is to de-personalize my work and try to act like I would if I was doing it for someone else. I have meetings of "Dropsie Inc" to decide what needs to be done and then try to do it as though it was a task for a client.

My therapist tells me that I should ask "do I need this?" and to do it to make the future Dropsie happy. She also says that its very important to do everything with as much kindness as possible, so you don't make matters worse -- you already hate doing something so if you then hate yourself over it, not helpful.

Works some days better than others.

Thoughts??