Notices

advice please

Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
That is awful! What is wrong with people? I saw you've been sober since may? That's huge and she doesn't see it. I'm really sorry rina
It totally sucks but I was three years sober before while in therapy and thought I was cured of my anxiety so I tried drinking in moderation and got the DUI a few months later. I went to my first AA meeting the morning after and have been sober ever since. I'm believing being in recovery will be the difference I need to thrive this time. My sponsor has helped me with my situation with my sis. There are a lot of people at meetings that were completely estranged from family members that have wonderful relationships with them now. I have to believe I will have that again one day with my sister. I hope you do too-Hugs!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We encourage people all the time to set up boundaries. It isn't necessary, either, to tell the addict in your life what your boundaries are. But when their boundaries are crossed, they should respond by enforcing the boundary.

It sounds like you and your husband have had a volatile marriage for a while now. You said this isn't the first time he's beaten you. Just as we would encourage you to set boundaries, your family also has that right.

I'm sure your sister loves you, but it sounds like she is protecting herself and her family from the obvious dysfunction of your family. In any case, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and I'm glad to hear you will not allow any of this to give you an excuse to drink.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Look at if from the loved ones side:
Where are the loved ones supposed to draw the line? Should they just keep putting up with our insane behavior and not be concerned with their own mental and emotional well being? Should they just be doormats for all of our crap?
Should they allow their families to be in jeopardy of god only knows what may happen? Should they just forgive and forget all of the past crap we caused?
Would you put up with it?

Today I can see just why so many people walked away from me, stopped letting me be around, and didn't trust me. I don't blame them one bit for the choices they made.

And I know why it took T.I.M.E. to earn trust back. And it wasn't in my time.

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

I feel your pain. My family has abandoned me as well. I have my kids and I accept that. We cant control others only our own actions. I know it hurts. This too shall pass.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Every family loves the scapegoat. I've gone above and beyond for them. They are all coming back around. I have my gaurd up though. Alcoholic , yes I am. Door mat, no I'm not.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you were my sister I would tell you to you separate yourself from the abuser and if your not willing to do that, dont contact me or the rest of the family. I would force you to make a decision. Like others have said its tough love and they are drawing a line in the sand. If the risk of losing your family, those who truly care for your well being, for someone who has repeatedly shown their true colors is not enough to sway you than nothing will.

Just another perspective.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The last thing someone in a domestic violence situation needs is to be isolated. That's what the abuser wants, it leaves the victim feeling even lower and vulnerable.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
The last thing someone in a domestic violence situation needs is to be isolated. That's what the abuser wants, it leaves the victim feeling even lower and vulnerable.
And that it did. Had she asked what my plan is or said he can't be at christmas....would be different. We never spoke though. Just a cold " stay away" text. My father said she doesn't speak for him. At this point I'm not concerned. It's really best I stay away and spend holiday with my sons.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
And that it did. Had she asked what my plan is or said he can't be at christmas....would be different. We never spoke though. Just a cold " stay away" text. My father said she doesn't speak for him. At this point I'm not concerned. It's really best I stay away and spend holiday with my sons.
Aw! Xoxo. Sorry you're going through this, it's so hard!
Pm if you ever need to b1tch
Old 12-09-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Is there a possibility that your husband has talked to your sister and said something untrue about you? Maybe he tried to make himself sound like a victim or like he was defending himself. Abusers sometimes do this too. My sister's husband has called me and tried to convince me of terrible things about her. He tries to manipulate everyone. I just wonder if your husband is that way also?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I personally think it sounds like you are better off not being with them anyway. I sense some real bad karma with your whole situation. Try to make some of your own positive energy and enjoy the holiday with your sons. The more you stay away from all that negativity the better.