Notices

Day 9 - Thanks Antabuse

Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 - Thanks Antabuse

Morning all.

Day 9 today. I'm feeling pretty happy overall :-)

The weekend went by and I didn't touch a drink. It was nice to wake up feeling refreshed and not suffering with a killer hangover and worrying about what I did the night before.

Its nice to be off the drink.

It was also nice to receive some feedback from my wife that she is proud of me. It came out of the blue on the way home from work via SMS. I asked why she said she was proud of me. She commended me on no drinking on the weekend and also the fact I hadn't messaged her telling her how I feel like a drink when I get home.

I didn't realise I did that so often.

Anyway, have a nice day/night all.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

congrats on 9 days!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey sillyguy- Congrats on the nine days! It's great that your wife has taken notice of your improvements as well.

People who don't have an issue with alcohol might not really realize just how much of an effort we put into simply just not drinking. Your efforts are something that you, yourself, should be proud of.

I wish you continued success with your progress.

Lusher .
Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 9 SG

your doing really well bud
Old 12-09-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both.

I had a follow up visit with the doc today. One of his questions was how much was antabuse. My answer was about $60 for a months supply. Its expensive.

Then I said while its expensive I spend more than that in a single week on beer and don't ever think that is expensive for beer.

Its funny how us alcoholics think.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Antabuse got me sober. I'd been off and on the sauce for a while. Wanting to quit but giving in and failing regularly. I was like you, in the habit of having a drink when I got home after work. I'd want to quit all day but when I pulled in the driveway the temptation to drink, just one more night, was irresistible. But then I did have the will enough every day, at least once a day, to take that little white pill. With just that small resolve, to take the pill, I soon became alcohol free. I'm sure I would never have been able to quit without it. Good luck to you and best wishes. It sounds like you found the "trick" I did to get sober,
Old 12-09-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
Antabuse got me sober. I'd been off and on the sauce for a while. Wanting to quit but giving in and failing regularly. I was like you, in the habit of having a drink when I got home after work. I'd want to quit all day but when I pulled in the driveway the temptation to drink, just one more night, was irresistible. But then I did have the will enough every day, at least once a day, to take that little white pill. With just that small resolve, to take the pill, I soon became alcohol free. I'm sure I would never have been able to quit without it. Good luck to you and best wishes. It sounds like you found the "trick" I did to get sober,
That was so me. Just one more night. I deserve it ...

How long have you been sober ?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank god for pharmaceuticals. I've never tried antabuse but I'm going on three weeks alcohol free with the help of vivitrol. Best wishes down under!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AF4good View Post
Thank god for pharmaceuticals. I've never tried antabuse but I'm going on three weeks alcohol free with the help of vivitrol. Best wishes down under!

You too !
Old 12-09-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go on day nine sillyguy

D
Old 12-09-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by sillyguy View Post
That was so me. Just one more night. I deserve it ...

How long have you been sober ?

Right! One more night, what's the harm in one more night, right? That and well tonight I really need it.

After just a few nights sober you realize you are so better off without it and you do not need it. Still, without the pill, I'd fall back to my old ways when I pulled in the driveway at the end of the day.

I quit in June of this year.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
Right! One more night, what's the harm in one more night, right? That and well tonight I really need it.

After just a few nights sober you realize you are so better off without it and you do not need it. Still, without the pill, I'd fall back to my old ways when I pulled in the driveway at the end of the day.

I quit in June of this year.
WOW! I'm envious. I also know I'll hit that level of quitting too :-)

What sort of benefits have you got from this long quitting , and are you still on Antabuse?

Weight loss, better complexion , mental changes etc?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by sillyguy View Post
WOW! I'm envious. I also know I'll hit that level of quitting too :-)

What sort of benefits have you got from this long quitting , and are you still on Antabuse?

Weight loss, better complexion , mental changes etc?
It took months before I noticed any positive changes, other than not being drunk or hung over. Now though I can tell I have much clearer thinking. I've been motivated to exercise more often. I did not lose weight but I eat a ton more food and have not gained any either. I replaced the alcohol calories with real food. I really enjoy eating as much as I want and not gaining any weight. My wife says my skin is very much younger looking.

I only took Antabuse for about six weeks. Once I had the history of sobriety and the habit of it I wanted to stop taking it. I did have a relapse months after quitting the Antabuse but it was short lived. I considered going back on the Antabuse but quit again, this time without it.