Notices

Intervention: Bret

Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heathen

Intervention: Bret

Anyone watch it? (It's the newest episode I think..)

Pretty intense..
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Ughhhhhhhhh,, Heart Wrenching......
Old 07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, this one HIT ME IN THE GUT.

Too many memories came FLOODING back. So typical. And, his dying of esophageal cancer was not a surprise. This is very common among alcoholics, both those still practicing and those in recovery for a long time.

Alcohol burns the whole gastronic system. And when liver failure starts to set in

The veins in the esophagus dilate (widen) and may rupture, causing slow or massive intestinal bleeding.

Sometimes can be stopped by laser. I know, had to have that done 3 times when my liver functions dropped very low in sobriety.

After affects are also SEVERE GERD. GERD casuses 'scarring' of the esophagus a condition called Barrett's Esophagus, which is a pre cancerous condition. I know, have that also.

This episode had this alkie pacing half the night. Oh, not because I wanted to drink, more in the mode of 'beating myself up' one more time, on how could I have been so stupid for so long (24 years) and allowed myself to do this to my own body, and to hurt all those folks I hurt so long ago.

Oh, I got over it at about 3am or so.

I am grateful that his family allowed this one to be aired.

Some Interventions I can watch and not get 'twitchy', others like the one last night ........ set me over the top but do bring me back to

"I have a daily reprieve, conditioned on my Fit Spiritual Condition."

That "Fit Spiritual Condition" for this alkie, is to be the BEST me I can be TODAY. To practice thoughtfulness, kindness, and consideration to all who cross my path and to treat all as I would wish to be treated.

It was an EXCELLENT kick in the pants for me.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

The kids..

That part got me pretty bad..

And really goes to show, even if people don't think they have problems right now.. they too could get sober, and end up with terminal effects.

Eye opening!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Yes, this one HIT ME IN THE GUT.

Too many memories came FLOODING back. So typical. And, his dying of esophageal cancer was not a surprise. This is very common among alcoholics, both those still practicing and those in recovery for a long time.

Alcohol burns the whole gastronic system. And when liver failure starts to set in

The veins in the esophagus dilate (widen) and may rupture, causing slow or massive intestinal bleeding.

Sometimes can be stopped by laser. I know, had to have that done 3 times when my liver functions dropped very low in sobriety.

After affects are also SEVERE GERD. GERD casuses 'scarring' of the esophagus a condition called Barrett's Esophagus, which is a pre cancerous condition. I know, have that also.

This episode had this alkie pacing half the night. Oh, not because I wanted to drink, more in the mode of 'beating myself up' one more time, on how could I have been so stupid for so long (24 years) and allowed myself to do this to my own body, and to hurt all those folks I hurt so long ago.

Oh, I got over it at about 3am or so.

I am grateful that his family allowed this one to be aired.

Some Interventions I can watch and not get 'twitchy', others like the one last night ........ set me over the top but do bring me back to

"I have a daily reprieve, conditioned on my Fit Spiritual Condition."

That "Fit Spiritual Condition" for this alkie, is to be the BEST me I can be TODAY. To practice thoughtfulness, kindness, and consideration to all who cross my path and to treat all as I would wish to be treated.

It was an EXCELLENT kick in the pants for me.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Ditto ditto ditto... thank you for that post Laurie
Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That has to be the most painful thing I've watched in years...the kids were just heartbreaking, and to see that he died so shortly after getting sober...Good Lord! Both an eye opener and a reminder of just exactly where I came from and where I could always end up if I ever chose to drink again! WOW! I, too, am grateful to Bret's family for allowing that to air.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I bawled like a baby after that one.

Laurie.....thanks for you post, too.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

i watched it (wrote about it in my blog) i was so shocked--i did not think that was going to happen. i was so much waiting for the happy ending when he was thru with rehab and was going to rejoin his family, how sad. i think his wife would have readily taken him back once he really go sober. my heart breaks for the whole family.
it was esp heartwrenching (and made me cry) when his son said he was glad that he didn't die an alcoholic but that he died a dad.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just watched it on A&E's website, and WOW. I regularly watch Intervention, and I've only been moved to tears one other time: Lawrence, who was also an alcoholic, died from complications stemming from cirrhosis of the liver. If memory serves me, he was not even 35 years old.

When I saw Bret's children screaming to get their father back, that felt like a wrecking ball hitting me straight in the stomach. I remembered my ex girlfriend, whom I deeply cared for, crying and projecting anger towards me... telling me she fell in love with the person she met, not the person I had become. I recalled friends who loved and cared enough for me to try and tell me to stop, but, like Bret, I was blinded and could not see that. Then, I remembered finally waking up one day and deciding that I wanted to take control of my life again. The emotions came full circle, and I broke down in tears.

The worst part for me were the interviews Bret did and when his own children and family described how wonderful he was. What we saw was a loving, caring father who was very, very sick. To hear him say to his own son, who had begged him to stop drinking, that he would stop "one of these days" was just torture. Sometimes, there just isn't another day.

During the follow up, when it said Bret had been diagnosed with advanced esophogial cancer, my heart just sank. When they said he had passed away after 104 days of sobriety, I began crying again. I am incredibly thankful that he got to rediscover the joys of sobriety, even for such a brief period of time. My heart goes out to his family. Words cannot express what devastation they must feel, and will continue to feel.

What we saw tonight was this disease at it's absolute worst. The devastation, heartbreak, and the complete and total destruction of both a family and a productive life. It is my hope that somebody out there saw this episode on Monday night, saw where they were headed, and decided to get help. I, too, credit Bret's family for allowing this to be aired.

I cannot post the link, but if you head over to Intervention's page on A&E's website, you can access the full episode. Make sure plenty of tissues are handy.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

kil thanks for mentioning lawrence (his was the episode i cried the hardest over). i'm posting the link - bret's is the first of the small boxes of videos under the main one. glad to find out im not the only one who watches this show.

Bret's Intervention
Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by bohemianzen View Post
kil thanks for mentioning lawrence (his was the episode i cried the hardest over). i'm posting the link - bret's is the first of the small boxes of videos under the main one. glad to find out im not the only one who watches this show.

Bret's Intervention
Yep, his hit me hard too.. some of that damage is done well before any of us decide to get or stay sober.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Devastating and a strong reminder to me of why I quit drinking and why I must maintain my sobriety.

That Bret died is a tragedy, that he died 104 days sober was a great victory both for him personally but also for his kids, particularly his son. Nothing scared me more than the prospect of dying before overcoming my addictions and finding a sober life.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've only watched 2 episodes because it's too painful for me to watch. I just happened to watch that one and it was heartbreaking.

It made me think about what we all do here and how important it is.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks for sharing this, smacked. I've never watched intervention, but I watched this one and it left me speechless, it was like watching an alternate ending to the story of my recovery, what would've happened if I hadn't quit when I did.

There were so many similarities. I'm a year older than Bret, also have a son and a daughter, my marriage ended and I lived in a small apartment for awhile. I could totally identify with the self-will run riot and the self-knowledge, all the denial.

Those kids are tough as nails, man did it ever get me choked up to watch them set their boundaries.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

The kids had me bawling, that raw pain and emotion, when I first saw them crying, my first thought was that is how they would be at his funeral.... I can't even imagine.......

Those big innocent brown eyes. My next thought was God please spare that boy addiction in his life. (and the girl) but I kept flashing to that boys innocent eyes,
and him holding on to his Dad. Scared me to death, and I bet his Mother is thinking
the same thing.... Hopefully he'll take a different and better path......
Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Bret's story hit me hard. It reminded me of the ole drinking/drugging buddy's I have known that passed away so early in life.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm downloading it now.

In Australia we don't have the show, and the website errors every time I try to watch online (probably blocking me as I'm not in the USA).

I'm hesitant to watch this but I think I should. After watching Rain in my Heart I'm pretty nervous about these sort of shows...

I only managed to get through Rain in my Heart because I was drunk. How stupid does that sound :/
Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's interesting that they blacked the screen when he said he wouldn't go, and then came back and he had changed his mind. Something to do with legally forced psychological analysis?

I'm glad he went in the end. Pretty shocked at the cancer though. Unless he was minimising his consumption levels we drank similar amounts, me probably more. I also drank alcoholically for nearly as long as him. The only difference is that I'm 30 and he is 43.

I'm also shocked at the impact it had on his kids. I don't have any yet so it's not something I ever thought about much. It was sad to see the little boy at the end say he is glad his father quit so he could die as a dad and not an alcoholic. So grown up for his age.

I feel sick after watching that. He looked reasonably healthy and normal.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
catch-22

downloading it now... can't access it on the website, I suppose because I'm in the UK... I'll be watching it tonight, after the NASCAR race I taped!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if anyone else seen it. It was really horrible. I think this should be shown in rehab and recovery programs. It also scared me about the problems that us in recovery may face down the road. When I think of how fast my disease progressed I almost feel thankful that it got pretty bad pretty fast. The alternative being what most heavy drinkers do is get drunk a couple nights a week for their whole life.

I'll also look for the lawerence one.