View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
smacked
Heathen

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Yes, this one HIT ME IN THE GUT.

Too many memories came FLOODING back. So typical. And, his dying of esophageal cancer was not a surprise. This is very common among alcoholics, both those still practicing and those in recovery for a long time.

Alcohol burns the whole gastronic system. And when liver failure starts to set in

The veins in the esophagus dilate (widen) and may rupture, causing slow or massive intestinal bleeding.

Sometimes can be stopped by laser. I know, had to have that done 3 times when my liver functions dropped very low in sobriety.

After affects are also SEVERE GERD. GERD casuses 'scarring' of the esophagus a condition called Barrett's Esophagus, which is a pre cancerous condition. I know, have that also.

This episode had this alkie pacing half the night. Oh, not because I wanted to drink, more in the mode of 'beating myself up' one more time, on how could I have been so stupid for so long (24 years) and allowed myself to do this to my own body, and to hurt all those folks I hurt so long ago.

Oh, I got over it at about 3am or so.

I am grateful that his family allowed this one to be aired.

Some Interventions I can watch and not get 'twitchy', others like the one last night ........ set me over the top but do bring me back to

"I have a daily reprieve, conditioned on my Fit Spiritual Condition."

That "Fit Spiritual Condition" for this alkie, is to be the BEST me I can be TODAY. To practice thoughtfulness, kindness, and consideration to all who cross my path and to treat all as I would wish to be treated.

It was an EXCELLENT kick in the pants for me.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Ditto ditto ditto... thank you for that post Laurie