Notices

Intervention: Bret

Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Haven't seen it (I don't have TV) and don't want to watch it. I've done too much crying over my own alcoholism and don't want to cry again so soon. I do know my kids are glad I quit drinking and I don't want to disappoint them by starting back up. I just had a two day relapse last week and am still recovering from it emotionally. I do'nt want to put myself back in that Bad Place... it's too hard to get out again.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree with Philly, it should be shown in rehabs.

It was one of the best reality shows I have ever seen. What was so obvious to us, was so missed by Bret. And the cost of alcoholism, my God, to the alcoholic and to the family. Some of that stuff hit pretty close to home. Particularly the depth of denial despite what should be so obvious.

Mark
Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's the first one in a long time where I was crying when the kids were begging him. I was so sad to see he died of cancer. God bless him for being sober when he did.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I missed that episode. To die of esophageal cancer at 43 from alcohol abuse seems really odd to me. It scares me because I'm 42.

To anyone that watched the show, how much did he drink and for how long?

He must have started early. I saw a few images of him and he looked rather healthy, certainly not like other people I've seen with a late-stage cancer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh gosh. I always watch intervention but hadn't seen this one. After I saw this post I went to the website and watched it.

It really was one of the saddest episodes I've ever seen. I hated knowing the entire time that he was going to pass away from cancer at the end...it made it that much more depressing. I feel most for his kids; I just can't imagine going through that.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm glad I didn't read this thread until after I watched the episode. I was shocked to see that Bret ending up dying - but I'm grateful that he was sober for his final days.

Yes, it was very hard watching the children, and the toll it was taking on them. I know that alcoholism is a family disease, but I hadn't seen it more starkly illustrated before this. Many thanks to his family for allowing the episode to be aired.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by rhnorment View Post
I missed that episode. To die of esophageal cancer at 43 from alcohol abuse seems really odd to me. It scares me because I'm 42.

He must have started early. I saw a few images of him and he looked rather healthy, certainly not like other people I've seen with a late-stage cancer.

Thanks in advance.
I can't remember, you can watch it still online. Obviously too much.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Originally Posted by rhnorment View Post

Thanks in advance.
IIRC he said he drank about 12 mixed drinks and a few beers a night. At least that's what he said.

This one really hit me hard too. I'm going to get my GERD really checked into seriously...I've always just sort of dealt with it. But I've had the throwing up out of nowhere thing like Bret, just no blood. And not when I was drunk either...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It was like watching an episode of "This is your Life". The AH who starts with anxiety, drinks to take off the edge, adds anti-anxiety med's to the cocktail, then lets his job / family fall apart. My AH has been sober for 11 mos, but still working on recovery.

He missed this episode, but I told him abt it and how I cried like a baby watching the pain in those kids and the mom trying to tread water in this mucked up life. His response was something to the effect " lot of good it did for him to quit. Should have just keep drinking." Always the negative. He's suffering from depression, so that's pretty much his state of mind these days.

My only problem was as a mom I just don't think I would have allow my little boy to witness the intervention. The girl was older, but the boy was so young. It still makes me cry thinking about the mom rocking him in her arms and saying she was sorry to put him through that. I'm just afraid of the psych damage that may have caused this kid. Possibly making him feel "responsible" for his dad in some way.

Regardless, it took alot of courage for the family to go forward with this and hopefully the results will help others.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Amazing episode.

Jim, sorry that your hubby reacted the way he did.. that's just terrible.

As for the kids thing.. it was a desperate attempt to create a 'bottom' and the kids were given a choice. I know that lil boy looked little, but having grown up in an alcoholic home, he is much older than his years are. I can imagine it was a tad less comfy for him to be stuck in the home with his dad as he was actively killing himself. At least the intervention lead to sobriety first, before the alcohol eventually killed him.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Intervention is almost always intense.

That show helps me keep my connection to step one. I see my alcoholism being played out right in front of my eyes.
And Step one leads to 2 which leads to three which.....leads to 12. Which keeps me sober.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm scared but want to watch this episode.

Did yall post it somewhere?

I watched the intervention about Danielle and percocet on the A&E website... well part of it...

I stopped watching after her sister (Rachel) went crazy on her...

Only because it got me to sobbing cos I went through the exact same thing with my brother about a year ago...

Rachel meant good... just like my brother did... but there is NO good to be had by a family member going ape **** like that... it only causes more pain...

I'd like to watch a video about alcoholism if possible.

Maybe it would help.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Man, I just watched this episode and it was chilling. It just shows you how real this disease is. It can take your life, even if you quit and decide to live sober. Once the damage is done, it's done. I hope we all cherish the life and sobriety we have on this earth, because it can be taken away in a second. I will forever remember Bret and his family for what they went through. To see Bret's alcoholism take over his life was an unfortunate reality, but to see him decide to go to treatment and fight for his life and family was inspirational. It is just so sad that his children only got 3 months to spend with their father before he passed. He seemed like such a caring, nice, gentle man who was taken away by alcoholism. The fact that he become free from addiction, even for a brief time, is a true testament to his character and love for his family. Bret truly is an inspiration for all of us. May god rest his soul.