Notices

is AA still court ordered?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Alzerin, lawyer is court-appointed and I can't afford anything else. Further, it just so happens the court-appointed attorney is related to the judge ... small town and most are related.

Sponsor says he can't be available that day.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

My head is spinning,

If it was me, I'd get a temporary co-sponsor (if not a new sponsor). someone who's seen me around. I would state my case and be upfront. Back in the early days of AA, having two sponsors was normal.

<sigh>
Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I really have no intention of continuing with A.A. or any sponsor after this. As I said, I'm not much of a drinker and never have been. This was a rare circumstance for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

If that sponsor knew you were at the meetings, not just because you said so, but because he saw you and he's not available to keep you out of jail and he knows you don't deserve it.... Fire his @ss... I'm sorry, that's bullsh1t...

NOW... what you can do...

Start going to as many meetings as you can, get there early, stay late, get to know them as much as you can, let them get to know you...

Then go to court and tell the truth and you've done all you can and it's out of your hands... have peace in knowing that.

Sometimes consequences are random... I heard that at least once as I was going through some stuff a year and a half ago... Do what you can do, all that you can do... Have integrity...

So sorry for your loss and your trouble.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Mark, like I said, I know most in the meeting ... only 4 regulars counting me and my sponsor. One day a transient was there. He'd been drinking and I think he just needed a warm place to drink a cup of coffee. Poor guy, I haven't seen him since.

Thanks again, Mark.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by MrFields View Post
I really have no intention of continuing with A.A. or any sponsor after this. As I said, I'm not much of a drinker and never have been. This was a rare circumstance for me.
In that case, maybe ALL this was divine intervention.

I'm not saying you're an alcoholic. But, with your terrible loss, the atmosphere in the rooms may be soothing. It sounds like you kinda like them.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

No, I find nothing soothing in a tiny woodshed, ice-cold with 3 other people smoking like chimney stacks when I don't smoke. One of the other members is a guy who raped my sister when we were teens. Before he went to jail for it, I hurt him pretty bad in a fight. We don't talk and he won't talk in meetings I attend (my sponsor says). Then of course, my sponsor is the other there, and the other is a mute guy that of course just listens. It's not a very uplifting situation, but the judge says I have to attend.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

<oh> My bad.

Time to look at the on-line directory. There has to be more unless you live in Siberia, and I bet they even got some good meetings somewhere. ;-)
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Like I said, this is a very small town. Nearest town to me that has other meetings is about 25 miles away and I don't have a car.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no personal expeirience with your situation.
Sorry to know of this circumstance.

I wanted you to know....prayers sent for your peace
over however this works out......

My deepest sympathy for the tragic loss of your daughter.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I'm out of suggestions.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Well, I agree with the baffled reactions of others about this. If I could not get a lawyer to look after this and got a weird story about this never happening in 20 years from the clerk (I don't believe it), then I would attend what meetings I humanly could with the time left and have those documented. Unless they stipulate it has to be the "sponsor" you could get any signature. I would also put down all the other dates I had been to the meetings and try to get those dates recognized through a signature next to them. This sponsor guy is not doing so well in the head if you have made an effort to go to these meetings and he won't lift a finger to do anything supportive. Does the employer know about this whole situation, or only that you were late one or two times? Since you cannot get around by car, I guess I would try to get on the phone with somebody who can give me advice from a bigger city. There has to be somebody within reach by phone, perhaps someone experienced in AA and had been to court, who would have useful advice on this in your state (and I assume this is the United States).
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I had to have a card signed once upon a time...

When i lost my card i was able to make a list on a sheet of paper and had people sign off that they had seen me in specific meetings.

If they can't specifiy dates...at least have someone who has seen you in meetings write out that they have seen you attend aproxomately **** meetings in the last **** months.

If I cannot fufil the exact terms of a commitment, Job, AA or otherwise...I can at least do what i can.

The court clerk must be nuts...there is no way you could be the first...unless you and I are "sicker than most"
Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Tradition #3
Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an A.A. Group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.
Tradition #4
With respect to its own affairs, each A.A. group should be responsible to no other authority than its own conscience.
There you have it.
You find another alcoholic and call yourselves a "Meeting" when you meet. Meet when you want and meet where you want.
Tradition #4 states that you have no format to follow and you answer to nobody other than your own group conscience.
When you do meet do whatever you want.
Have your AA Friend sign your card.
You have now fullfilled your obligation to The Courts and AA will back you up per their own traditions.