Notices

I owe it all to SR

Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I owe it all to SR

I spent weeks trawling through many websites looking for help for my alcoholic fiance. I stumbled on SR and found help for me.

When I arrived here I was at the end of my tether. I had tried everything to get R to stop drinking and I didn't know what to do next. After spending at least 6 hours straight lurking here and reading back over old posts, it felt like home, like people understood. As a confirmed codie, I told R about this site so that he could experience the same thing. Doh!! Big mistake. His first post was about the lack of intimacy in our relationship, not his alcoholism which is what I wanted. I learnt my first lesson about control that day.

I spent about 4 months here, reading and posting occasionally, before I plucked up the courage to go to an al-anon meeting. SR really helped me to understand a lot of the concepts and has continued to do so over the past year. I have made some wonderful friends from all over the globe and I know that I would be a lot further back in my recovery had it not been for all the wisdom that is shared on these boards. Everyone here nudged me when my thinking went awry, held me up when I left my ex last December, cheered me on when I moved back to my home town, put things in perspective when I beat myself up.

Thank you, Jon, for laying the foundations for such a wonderful community. And thank you to all the Mods for your hard work. And most of all, thank you to every single member here - without you all, this place wouldn't exist.

Hope to see you all at the gathering next year!!

Love

Minnie
xxx