Notices

AA advice

Old 10-21-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA advice

After several attempts at trying to do this on my own, which rarely last more than a week or so, I'm considering trying out AA. When I search online, there appear to be about 20 or so meetings per day in my area and I don't know which one to pick. Is there any way to learn more about the specific meetings before just showing up to one?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The "Open" meetings will be open to anyone, so you may find significant others, kids and family members, students, clergy, reporters, and others who are not alcoholics at the meetings. "Closed" meetings are for alcoholics only. In my area nearly all meetings are open - but I didn't find that a problem in any way.

Big Book meetings will be a study of the book of Alcoholics Anonymous. In our groups we go around the room and read a section of the book, then open up the meeting to discussion. A "Step" meeting is similar, but will focus on one step of the 12 Steps, usually whichever coincides with the month we are in. (Step Ten in October, etc.) You can jump in anywhere, you don't have to wait for January to do Step One, for example. The group meets you where you are.

A Discussion meeting is that. There is generally a topic chosen then the group takes turns speaking about that topic or whatever else is on their mind.

A Speaker meeting is just an alcoholic or two telling their story - usually "How it was, what happened, what it's like now." There is not a discussion period for the group.

There are Men Only and Women Only. Other than those two, you are welcome to show up to any meeting. Just go. Try different ones, they all have a unique feel and tone, but they are all the same. People helping people with a common affliction - life.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info. I tried a beginners' meeting today and it was good for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soopy99 View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried a beginners' meeting today and it was good for me.
I called the local AA central service office on my first day of sobriety. The lady talked to me for 30 minutes and asking me about my story and then about my socioeconomic background. She matched me up with one of the largest clubs in town but it was made up of mostly blue collar people like myself. And now in 18 months of sobriety I have only visited 3 other clubs. The club was a perfect fit for me.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great news Soopy
Old 11-20-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

soopy - as a recent retread who had experience with meetings over a decade ago and more recently returned to AA a month ago here are some thoughts for your consideration.

Biminiblue accurately described the different meeting formats.

You are lucky to have so many meetings to choose from. As I am in a highly populated area I also have a lot of choices for AA meetings. This is a huge advantage over folks who are in rural populations with limited meeting choices.

My view on picking AA meetings is that the composition of the people in the meeting is more important than the kind of meeting it is. Thus, the best way for me was to simply to sample several different meetings and see what fit me the best.