Notices

Sick of worrying about it ...

Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Sick of worrying about it ...

I found SR surfing the web looking for some type of help with this drinking thing. I didn't do it every night. But the way I drank felt wrong -- often alone, usually about 3 glasses of wine to get to a certain buzz level (can't handle much more than that), something I thought about mid-day and looked forward to upon arriving home, seemed to be more and more a part of my life.

I remember visiting a much older friend years ago. He was living alone and he had a box of wine on his counter. My mind went: "Ding!" Up until then it had never occured to me to buy a box of wine -- a whole, huge box. It just seemed so full of potential buzzes! That friend, btw, got a DUI shortly after. His life fell apart and last time I saw him he was in terrible shape.

I could have continued drinking in my life -- sleeping like crap, feeling fuzzy in the morning -- for a long time. And along the way I would be worrying -- do I have a problem? Naw, well maybe ...? I'm sure my consumption would increase in volume and frequency.

Then, I have a few friends with major health issues -- cancers, addictions (not like me -- lol!), heart disease. I'm listening to my friend with the bad heart saying he can't give up cheese. I'm thinking, "It's killing you!" And that got me thinking that alcohol wasn't doing ME any favors, yet I couldn't give it up. How was I any different from my friends, who, I thought, just weren't trying hard enough?

I recently heard a statistic that said only 20% of people actually change their behaviors when they need to ... I decided to try to be part of the 20%. I guess everyone on this site is part of that 20% -- high five!

I feel very fortunate for the life I have. It's not worth putting all that in jeopardy. I appreciate the support from this site. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a load of reasons to live a sober and happy life without the vino!!!

You mentioned you only have 3 glasses of wine to get a buzz and that is all you can handle, if you are an *alcoholic* (substitute whatever label makes you happier here:-)) this amount will increase as your tolerance grows, one day you may be substituting glasses for bottles!

I don't know much about the lifestyle change stats but the stats for an alcoholic achieving long term sobriety are a lot lower than that, most don't make it!

I hope from your post that you are a 'heavy drinker' and some lifestyle changes will enable you to stay sober, but i would stick around here and read as much as you can first, just on case;-)

Good luck with your choices:-)
Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeahgr8 -- thanks for the good words. I need to say I do have a problem ... I'm sick of worrying about "do I have a problem?" and I'm finally just saying ""yes." I am of the school that if you think you have a problem with alcohol, you do. I gotta be straight up on that, deal with it and, ideally, move beyond it. I've flirted with giving up alcohol before. Gone a month or two, no worries. I am just coming up on 30 days sober this time around. I'll really feel I have reached a new high water mark when I reach 90 days and beyond. I've got to say I have a different mindset this time around -- a mission and a new resolve. But one day at a time ...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations as you begin a journey of a lifetime. You are definately on the right path.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations as you begin a journey of a lifetime. You are definately on the right path. I was happy to see that you understand that we all do this one day at a time. In the beginning for me sometimes I had to take it an hour, minute or second at a time. This is a life long journey but remember.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Skeeter))
To me a journey of a lifetime...
To far for me to get that.
living and breathing in the day.
Stay strong, thanks for sharing............