Notices

2 days ago

Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days ago

I found this site two days ago at almost seven and a half years sober.

I came here because I recently "gave up" on the online dating thing (although I am back there now, new profile). Even though I have a profile up, I have given up, for the time being, on the idea of meeting someone. I don't meet men because I work at a women's gym and I don't go anywhere (which is fine). Anyway, I have a lot of other things I need to accomplish and I am working lots and maybe summer is a better time for dating. The giving up (I'm not big on giving up) left an empty feeling that gave me a slightly uncomfortable feeling that I associated with oncoming pain and potential self-pity. I am not actually lonely, but the giving up on finding someone based on my feeling like I'm not for everybody (underground / experimental artist, musician, writer) presents the opportunity to feel sort of down. I wondered if there was a site where people communicated about alcoholism and pain and this sort of stuff rather than everyone on the dating sites where people present glossy versions of themselves -- 'everyone' is just a 'social drinker'? 'Everyone' is 'laid back' and 'easy going'? Where no one ever raises their voice or takes a swing at another person? It feels pointless trying to interpret ones way past the veneer.