What I couldn't find in the bottle

Old 05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

What I couldn't find in the bottle

I came across this in a book called "Time Is All We Have" by Barnaby Conrad, which is his story of going through the Betty Ford Clinic, but the quote is taken from "The Fires of Spring" by James Michener. Anyways, it hit me pretty hard and has stayed with me for the past couple of days...
"For this is the journey that men make – to find themselves. If they fail in this, it doesn't matter much what else they find. Money, position, fame, many loves, revenge are all of little consequence. And when the tickets are collected at the end of the ride, they are tossed into the bin marked failure.

But if a man happens to find himself, if he knows what he can be depended upon to do, the limits of his courage, the positions from which he will no longer retreat, the degree to which he can surrender his inner life to some woman, the secret reservoirs of his determination, the extent of his dedication, the depth of his feeling for beauty, his honest and unpostured goals, then he has found a mansion which he can inhabit with dignity all the days of his life."

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's beautiful Tony. One sentiment I have always believed in is that we must first stand alone before we can stand together. No other person can fill us with the love we must find within.

Thanks for sharing.

deedee