Actions and Reactions

Old 04-30-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Actions and Reactions

You are reading from the book Touchstones.

A life of reaction is a life of slavery, intellectually and spiritually. One must fight for a life of action not reaction.
--Rita Mae Brown

All men in recovery confront their reactive habits in relationships. Whether we came to recovery as a codependent or as an addict, we soon must face how much other people's behavior has been a cue for our own reactions. There is always a three-part process in any reactionfirst, the other person's behavior; second, a moment of choosing a response; and third, our reaction. But in our spiritual slavery, we don't notice the choice stage. It feels automatic. It may feel as though "the other person made me do it."

No amount of changing on someone else's part can change us. We are becoming more responsible for our own lives and for our own behavior regardless of others around us. There is liberation in noticing the choice stage. It is tough to follow through on our choices, but when we do, it is truly a sign of a grown man. Then a remarkable thing happens - our self-esteem rises.

Today, I will pause to notice the choices I have in the moment between someone's action and my reaction.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks, Ann

I'm getting there.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I bite.

No amount of changing on someone else's part can change us. We are becoming more responsible for our own lives and for our own behavior regardless of others around us. There is liberation in noticing the choice stage. It is tough to follow through on our choices, but when we do, it is truly a sign of a grown man. Then a remarkable thing happens - our self-esteem rises.
I am working on changing myself now.... taking more responsibility for myself. And having, for lack of a better term, blind faith that things will get better.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good to see you Grimnar Blind faith has led me many times and each time I have had no regrets. Just trusting that things are as they should be and that life is unfolding as intended helps me go with the flow and find my own resting spots along the way.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

There is liberation in noticing the choice stage. It is tough to follow through on our choices, but when we do, it is truly a sign of a grown man. Then a remarkable thing happens - our self-esteem rises.
Thats beautiful..
Old 05-03-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I bite.

Originally Posted by Ann
Good to see you Grimnar
Good to be seen!! I am baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!! :Wgla