Elder's Meditation - April 13

Old 04-13-2006, 03:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Elder's Meditation - April 13

"Once you make a friend, a friend never leaves you, even to death. So a friend is really hard to find."
--Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

Once, an Elder told me he made a decision to be my friend. He said this friendship wasn't based on my behavior or how I acted; he said the friendship was based on his decision. He decided to be my friend. This friendship has happened like he said. Even if I don't see him for a long time, or if I get mad at him, he has never changed his decision. This is true friendship.

Great Spirit, I'm glad you are this kind of Friend.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I like this reading today. Life's experience has shown me who my "true friends" are, and no obstacle is too big or small to work through. No matter what life handed me, or them, the friendship remained healthy and strong.

Other friendships have come and gone. These ones never stood the test of time and experience. They brought their own lessons and left a footprint on my heart that makes my life better for having known them, but were never meant to be lasting and "true".

Knowing the difference helps me choose my friends wisely. Knowing the difference helps me really appreciate my true friends. Knowing the difference also helps me let go of what is no longer.

My spiritual friendship with God, is unshakable, like the reading says, and is the one I value most of all.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I added to my wedding vows to be D's friend - with equal weight to being his wife. I think riendship is the most durable and tolerent kind of love, the most honest, least afraid, and it grows deeper with time rather than fading.

If I had to choose between being his wife or his friend I would choose the latter, because to be married without friendship would terrify me.

My best friend of 23 years is family to me, we will know each other for life - the friendship has survived our arrogance and adolescence, our mistakes and failings, our anger and stupidity - we grow up with each other and we'll grow old the same way.