Secular Spirituality

Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Secular Spirituality

I often wondered how reason and athieisim could bring about any sense of spirituality. I now know: uncertainty. I am fascinated by life becuase I have no idea what is about - I do not believe in God, so nothing is really explained. I look at the sunsets and think: "what the hell is that all about". If God did not put it there, why is it there?

I think why is a friend a friend? Why do I feel love towards my fellow humans? Why do I want to treat people well? I believe answers to these questions cannot be found by absoloute theories. I wait in anticipation of discovery, but am amused and thrilled and excited if none is ever found. I also believe that Life is the greatest pleasure - learning to live it succesfully, with skill, and with a near total freedom of thought and behaviour, I believe true happiness comes when ones life is conducive to the life of others as well, when ones needs help the whole, instead of just me. I believe "how" and "why" are the two greatest words in the english language!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe "how" and "why" are the two greatest words in the english language!
THEY ARE!! But I'd like to smack you upside the head to have a little confidence you can discover things. After all - didn't you discover this?

Theories are wonderful tools to thinking and some will certainly be correct (just as many will certainly be wrong). To me it's always felt a little like learning to walk on shifting sand, either you can begin to feel nothing is ever stable or you begin to realise that doesn't stop you walking, something is stable, something is not - enough is stable!

Ok - so did that make ANY sense?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lol - it certainly did
Old 03-16-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

To me it's always felt a little like learning to walk on shifting sand, either you can begin to feel nothing is ever stable or you begin to realise that doesn't stop you walking, something is stable, something is not - enough is stable!
I love that, Equus. It applies to many things in my life and describes it perfectly.

Hugs,