Be kind to yourself

Old 02-09-2006, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Be kind to yourself

Leave yourself alone.
--Jenny Janacek

Three women were talking. One blamed herself for an unkind remark someone had made to her. Another blamed herself for not getting work done. The other compared her looks to those of the movie stars and thought she was ugly.

The women each noticed how the other two had put themselves down without being aware of it, and they began to laugh. Then they vowed to be as kind to themselves as they were to each other. Each time they caught themselves being mean to themselves, they imagined they were their own best friend, and were as understanding to themselves as they were to one another.

When we are kind to ourselves, only then can we be truly kind to others, and make ourselves a gift to those around us.

How have I been kind to myself lately?

Today's Gift

Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great thought to start my day. My recovery has taught me how to love and respect myself, inside and out, and that I am a precious child of God, and we all know that God don't make junk!!

Just for today, I will remember to count my personal blessings and not look to criticize myself for being ME.

Thank Doug, I needed that.

Hugs
Ann
Old 02-11-2006, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Doug;
This is an important message. It's right that I should be my own best friend; at the end of the day, it is me that's alone with myself. I need to love myself. THis is a difficult message to learn and to remember and to practice. But, as the great sage, Hillel said, "If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?.."

I can see areas of behavior that I want to change. Like quitting smoking, for example. I'm thrilled that I've finally done something about this behavior I continued to do but, didn't like doing.

But, not to change my person itself. There is only one of me. I'm here for a reason. My song blends with the songs of others, to make music in harmony. So, I will be my own best friend; I will nurture my own self.

Thanks for sharing this message.

Shalom!