Sacred Space

Old 01-16-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sacred Space

I've been feeling a big lack of "me time" in my life lately.
As if to chime in and agree with me, the Universe led me to a passage in my Celtic book called "Creating a Sacred Space". (See what happens when you ask for signs? )
Anyway, I think the idea of a Sacred Space is beautiful.
Here are some of the suggestions from the book.
I dream of one day having the room to use some of them.
"It is possible to create a threshold place in our own homes where we can go to journey into both our personal inner world and also the Celtic Otherworld, which lies beyond the boundaries of the personal. In our own sacred space we can meditate, write in a journal, reflect, or perform simple rituals and journey to our hidden realms and bring back some of their treasures to enrich our spiritual lives.
1. Choose a place that will not be used for any other purpose. It should be kept clear of everyday objects and be a haven of quiet where you can be completely private. This is your sacred space, or temenos, which divides the world of time and busyness from the timeless world.
2. Use a low table, piece of wood, shelf or other surface to create your altar. Unless it is naturally attractive, cover it with a cloth, either plain or with a Celtic design.
3. Make a seat, preferably with pillows or a backrest, but a chair will do if you have difficulty sitting on the floor. You may find it more comfortable to do some inner journeying lying down, so give yourself that option too...with more pillows, a rug or blankets."
From Mara Freeman's "Kindling The Celtic Spirit"
Old 01-18-2006, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful ideas to feed our spirit. Having my own space means so many things to me. I thrive on it, and I had to come to realize once again, that something "for" me was not "against" other people around me, whoever they were.

I have a prayer room as I have talked about here. Now that room has changed a bit, but one thing has not changed. I have added things to this room, but the vital thing is this room is "my" room. It is where I go to write, to meditate, or whatever inner need is needing my attention, can get met.

The wonderful thing is Mr. Hope rarely steps into that room. He knows the reason that I chose it, and what I use it for. He will rarely interrupt me unless it is for something very important, and we had to discuss what "important" was.. As you can imagine sometimes two people may have their own ideas on what warrants "important". SO short of someone being seriously hurt...I am not to be interrupted.

Having him respect this need for my own individual space just strenghtens the "us". It strengthens the "us" time, and then when we are together, it is because that is our together time. He also realizes that I need this space to let go of all of life's little stressors. I also enjoy seeing him take his personal time and space, to feed his spirit.

Sorry to ramble on. I am a huge believer in this.
I was not always able to communicate this need of mine even after I realized that I needed it.

Thank you for reminding me how important something like this is to our overall well-being. It becomes part of the air that I breathe and it fills me up with wonderful things. I am a better person because of it.

Okay..I think I am done ..lol Seriously...if someone does not have a place to be alone, then design it. It may not be designed exactly like we want right away, but we can allow our minds to be exactly where they need to be, if we can free ourselves from all outside surroundings.

Hope
Old 01-18-2006, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing worth metioning about sacred space, is that we would all do well to have some sacred space within us.
It's that place that Andy Dufresne speaks of in "The Shawshank Redemption". That bit of beauty and peace that lies within that no one can touch, or take away from us.
An inner retreat we can always go to when the "busyness" of life becomes too much.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is important Gabe Thank you. Being able to retreat "within"....Oh yes....
Hopefloats