Overcoming Moods.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

Overcoming Moods.

It would be difficult to find a group of people more subject to mood swings than alcoholics. While we were drinking, most of us were not perceptive enough to realize that our moods rose and fell in a rhythmic pattern. We did not mind being "up," but it distressed us greatly when we were "down." Alcohol was the "upper" most of us took when we were depressed.

In sobriety, there is usually no chemical "upper" that's safe to take for any of our down moods. Some of us have been helped by vitamins or by inspirational reading. But most of us simply have to ride out our down moods, doing the best we can until things are on the upswing again. In spite of being down, we do not have to drink.

Whatever the causes of mood swings, we can live with them, and we do not need any mood-altering drugs to see us through a down period. Our depression will pass, and we might even notice its hold lessening as we continue to grow in sobriety.

I will accept my feelings today, and I will not be disturbed if my mood seems somewhat low. This, too, will pass away.

From the book Walk in Dry Places.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dan-
Thanks for the inspiration. This is the kind of valuable insight a guy like me needs right about now!

I CANNOT drink or smoke weed anymore....it's just not an option. I'm done changing my mood with substances. I want to find real substance, the peace which passes understanding.

My sponsor says my emotions will begin to level off a bit as I get more and more used to a sober way of life. I can't expect for it to happen right away, and life isn't going to become a rose garden all of a sudden.
chip
Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi chip.
I've been reading your marijuana thread.
I'm glad you found something of use in the quote from the book, man.
Keep coming back,eh
Old 01-11-2006, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A valuable lesson I learned in life was having the ability to "ride out the storm". We will find that "this too shall pass". Often times, all we need is acceptance and patience, and faith. That can be a powerful remedy in itself.
Thanks Dan
Hopefloats