Comply or Accept.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

Comply or Accept.

Honesty

We are sometimes mystified when people come into the AA program, respond to its message for months or years, and then disappear, seemingly without a trace. Later, we may be shocked to learn that they're drinking again.
While we have no way of knowing the real reason, one possible explanation is that they were practicing compliance without really accepting the program. The danger of compliance is that it may simply be an outward show of working the program while leaving one's real thoughts and feelings unchanged.

At the same time, we often urge people to practice what is really only a form of compliance. We tell them, for example, to bring the body to meeting in the belief that the heart will follow!
The only solution is to continue the difficult but rewarding search for honesty in all things. When we examine ourselves honestly, we will recognize when we are truly accepting and when we are merely complying

I'll remember today that the real success of AA is not in the number of people who show up at meetings, but in how they truly accept the program.

From the book Walk in Dry Places.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As you can imagine Dan, this held lots of meaning for me. My experience over the past two days taught me that I am not just complying. I have this program in my heart...really I do. And I thank my HP daily for having the strength to work my program. It is just not enough for me to show up. I know that is where it all begins...but we have to do what is required of us to make it all work.

I can't always explain what I am feeling. But this one is in my heart..
Thank you...
Hope