Inner child

Old 11-03-2005, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Inner child

I, God, am your playmate! I will lead the child in you in wonderful ways for I have chosen you.
--Mechtild of Magdeburg

Our relationship with our Higher Power is not all solemnness. Facing the pains and guilts and griefs of our codependent relationships and our addictions might lead us to think recovery is only serious business. Not so!

This program liberates us from the heaviness by facing it. We are not meant to stay stuck there. Recovery teaches us to enjoy life. Our Creator has concocted a world of many pleasures and delights to play in. As we progress in our recovery we learn to let our hair down and play. Some of us have become more able to enjoy good-natured roughhousing with our children. Maybe we have become more free to joke and banter with friends. Our spiritual lives grow with good-natured fun.

I am grateful for the child who still lives in me. He keeps alive my delight in the world.

Touchstones

Old 11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When I first began my recovery, one of the best changes I noticed was the ability to laugh again when I had not laughed in such a long time. It felt good and allowed me to lighten my load with humour. Learning to laugh at myself and my circumstance was such a relief from the burden of guilt and fear.

Hugs
Ann
Old 11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Doug))))
Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Doug, I have always loved to be playful. My recovery allows me so much time for more of "me" in so many ways. It certainly allows my fun side to be more available. I really enjoy humor and fun and being downright silly...
Hopefloats
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doug

Me too Hope, me too.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

Old 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

L'Chaim! To Life!
A Jewish saying and statement about the exuberance we are commanded to have and experience towards life and all it's glory.
It doesn't discount pain; it simply reminds us to enjoy all that is good in life, including life itself. It's filled with joy.
"To Life!" conveys a sense of exuberance, a readiness to enjoy the pleasures of this world. It removes from wine, and from other pleasures, the taint of sin and self-indulgence, and invited us to look at all that God has created and find it good.'
Rabbi Harold Kushner
When life gets us down, it's a very good reminder to enjoy, dispite...To have joy, dispite...To live Life!
That reminder has helped me so much during my trials. To continally view things through the eyes of a child, and to enjoy that which can all too easily become mundane.

L'Chaim!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i too had lost the ability to laugh but am finding as i step thru recovery that i am finding that laughter again and it feels so good. i never want to ignore my inner child's feelings again!