Trouble Tree

Old 10-06-2005, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Trouble Tree

The carpenter I hired to help me restore an old farmhouse had just finished a rough first day on the job. A flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit and now his ancient pickup truck refused to start. While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence. On arriving he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands.

When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation. His tan face was wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.

Afterward, he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.

"Oh that's my trouble tree", he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing for sure, troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and children. So I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home. Then in the morning I pick them up again."

"Funny thing is," he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick them up, there ain't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."

Maybe we should all have a Trouble Tree.

How Do You Allow Your Daily Troubles to Affect You?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doug, when I first heard this story it came to me by Mr. Hope I loved it. Thank you again for posting it here. I have to go out TO that trouble tree a few times a day I think...and that is a good idea too. Seriously...if I don't stay aware, and find a positive thought to counteract the negative, my troubles will begin to snowball, taking on a life of their own.

This will affect all areas of my life. My peace, my serenity, my energy, my smiles, my ability to take life ONE day or ONE moment at a time. We all have our troubles. That is a part of life. But we do have the power to change the way we think of something, even if we cannot change "it"

thanks again! I enjoyed reading this again..
Hopefloats
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

I've heard it before too Hope, probably here as a matter of fact. I'd bet its here somewhere, once or twice already.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Thanks Doug for that, I really needed an uplift today on my spirituallity thinngggiiieee and that just gave it too me. One thing that is very important in my recovery is to realize and believe that there are all sorts of things and ideas that are spiritual and I try my best to apply all. Hell I am going to go find a tree and name it my Trouble Tree do you know why, cause I believe in all spirits and that is spiritualliy IMO>>>>>

Love Vic
Old 10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

love it... !
Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lately, this forum has been a bit of a trouble tree for me.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doug

Good for you Jackson, I'm glad to hear that.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

I've never seen that before Doug, thanks, I really like that.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is to all of us finding our Trouble Tree!!!
HOPEFLOATS
Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So true, so true. Great Doug