Quick Question

Old 08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question

I've just started my recovery and I was wondering something. Up until three days ago I smoked bud and butts, I drank, I used various other drugs, and I've always had a battle with what I eat. My question is should I give it all up at once or take one thing at a time?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No one can tell you what to do but we can tell you what worked for us. I tried to quit everything at once....it didn't work. I was a mess. A few old timers suggested I give up the drugs and alcohol and work the program (AA or NA). As I began to like myself better my eating habits improved and I am beginning to feel the desire to excersise and live healthier. The cigarettes....I'll put them down when I'm ready. Too much too soon puts too much pressure on us....imho.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hmmm...when i was in treatment my step mom told me i should quit smoking while i was in a place with support for it, looking back i wish i would have.
but i do agree with Jag...quitting everything at once i think would be too overwhelming.
while quitting drugs and alcohol i think its possible to try to eat right at the same time, i say try cause our bodies are sick and if you feel you need to eat then eat, whatever it is, i think the smoking thing can come later.
easy does it and keep it simple
work on today and not picking up the first drink and drug. Sobriety must be our #1 priority or all else is lost.
hugs, Wendy
Old 08-18-2005, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.....I've been smoking butts but everything else has been going okay.....I got paid today though and my first thought was to blaze.....I'm trying really hard to distance myself from it though....tom. will be a week w/o smoking and sat. will be a week w/o drinking.....good luck to you both
Old 08-18-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The VA has been going back and forth on this for years. Many years they felt it was too much. They now believe that smoking,gambleing etc are tied together so much we should consider stopping them all. However, the alcohol and drugs are the top priority. Like other mentioned it's up to each person to decide. My own feeling is to not worry about butt, I never smoked, plenty of second hand some though. Starting, any failures can set us up to drink/use. There are Vets that had to stop all because, to drink coffee made the butts automatic and the butts made the drink automatic and so on. Bottom line? Don't drink/use. The rest is a process. Don W