Is addiction rational?

Old 10-13-2021, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is addiction rational?

I was thinking about this a bit today reading through various threads and discussions on AVRT and Addictive Voice (AV). AVRT is really what got me to where I am today, but I'm realizing I only really read a few pages about the new mindset (externalizing the addiction and separating from it) and put it into action immediately without digging in much further.

Because of that, in my externalization process I had always considered the AV the irrational one, not the real me. But this exposes my own ignorance on AVRT, as Trimpey clearly states: "addiction is a function of a normal, healthy human being, not a disease."

I'm not totally sure what that means. Most of my worst, extended binges were because I thought I would literally die if I didn't drink (of course, that was my AV talking and combined with paralyzing health anxiety) but it wasn't rational or lucid in any way, right?

Of course, it's rational to not want to die. And if the AV had me convinced of that, then, well, mission accomplished for the AV?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, since what I'm doing now is working well. Though I'm still a little jarred at how wrong I seem to have some of the key concepts. Thoughts?
Old 11-12-2021, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No I do not believe it to be of rationality base! It appears more like a molten core or a hot cup one might not desire to hold in hand in this day.

And Yeah that crazy ass AV just isn\t the one running the show anymore I hope also... Craving is a biochemical temporary wanting feeling, but it should go away in Time. Less and less in interval, eventually it dies out...
Old 11-12-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My take on it is that addiction is a reaction to a deeper seated trauma. Further than that, the over indulgence in your drug (or behaviour) of choice served a vital purpose in distracting us from (sometimes undefined) unease.It actually serves its purpose perfectly. The problem arises when you become addicted physically, psychologically or both, and rely on the object of your addiction too much and too often. With alcohol for example, we are literally inserting poison into our bodies on a regular basis and usually in ever increasing amounts. It seems (and is) a crazy thing to do but the need to stifle your deeper pain overrides any attempts to rationalise or regulate it and you also have to deal with the physical addiction which deepens your cravings. Addiction imo is a perfectly sane reaction to dealing with things that are just too painful to address. I believe we cant tackle our addictions completely until we address the underlying problems that have caused it.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AVRT was also what got me to where I am right now. It was a revelation to me reading the threads and discussing it with various well informed people here. I quickly grasped hold of the AV concept and used it too good effect.
In terms of, is addiction itself a rational response I agree with everything Triggered says and couldn't put it any better. I would go on to reiterate that once we use AVRT to stop drinking it is then absolutely essential to address the underlying trauma as by doing so we stand the best possible chance of staying stopped. I guess this is why I now see my own sobriety as a life long process of discovery and healing.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree completely Dustyfox. I'd also like to say that we are so lucky to have found a forum like this. The knowledge along with the help and support we receive on here is second to none. We've been given a second chance and an opportunity to use the wisdom on here to make our lives better than they could have been with or without alcohol. As you say it's a lifelong process but with a bit of learning and guidance we're heading in the right direction instead of being hell bent to destroy everything of ourselves and those around us. I believe addressing those underlying issues are at the heart of that process and without it I would be a 'dry drunk'
Old 12-21-2021, 02:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting discussion, thanks everyone.

My take is that my first addiction (sugar) developed when I was a very small child as a coping mechanism growing up in an violent, utterly unstable, alcoholic home.

It gave me a small sense of relief and comfort. It was a valid and useful coping tool at the time. It was all I had available to me to help with the trauma I was living in.

So I believe that was the base of it. It grew from there into other addictions. Another of which was to live in the Fawn part of trauma survival. Fight, Flight, Freeze, Fawn. Fawn being trying to soothe the whole household to try and create a sense of being a bit more safe for me. Alcohol was added in later.

I feel it starts as a much needed tool for us, sadly over time that tool then in itself becomes the problem. We need to learn new, healthy tools in our recovery programs.