Inner Peace

Old 11-17-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Inner Peace

~ The Inner Life ~

by James Allen

The cause of all power, as of all weakness, is within: the secret of all happiness as of all misery is likewise within. There is no progress apart from unfoldment within, and no sure foothold of prosperity or peace except by orderly advancement in knowledge.

You say you are chained by circumstances; you cry out for better opportunities, for a wider scope, for improved physical conditions, and perhaps you inwardly curse the fate that binds you hand and foot. It is for you that I write; it is to you that I speak. Listen, and let my words burn themselves into your heart, for that which I say to you is truth: You may bring about that improved condition in your outward life which you desire, if you will unswervingly resolve to improve your inner life.

There is no room for a complainer in a universe of law, and worry is soul-suicide. By your very attitude of mind you are strengthening the chains which bind you, and are drawing about you the darkness by which you are enveloped. Alter your outlook upon life, and your outward life will alter. Build yourself up in the faith and knowledge, and make yourself worthy of better surroundings and wider opportunities.

Be sure, first of all that you are making the best of what you have. Do not delude yourself into supposing that you can step into greater advantages whilst overlooking smaller ones, for if you could, the advantage would be impermanent and you would quickly fall back again in order to learn the lesson which you had neglected. As the child at school must master one standard before passing on to the next, so, before you can have that greater good which you so desire, must you faithfully employ that which you already possess.

James Allen
The Gift of Inner Peace
Hallmark, Missouri
Old 11-17-2004, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The cause of all power, as of all weakness, is within: the secret of all happiness as of all misery is likewise within. There is no progress apart from unfoldment within, and no sure foothold of prosperity or peace except by orderly advancement in knowledge.
This was what caught my eye when I first read this. I have been struggling a lot lately trying to process and deal with issues that were causing me pain. When I go within, it can be very dark and walking through the pain seems to me to be the only way I ever get past it.

What I didn't think of, and what jumped out at me here, was that the secret of my happiness is also in there somewhere. I tend to look for my happines outside of myself, which is futile unless I look within to decide what really makes me happy and what I need to do to achieve a happier life.

Hugs
Ann
Old 11-18-2004, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Nice Ann, thanks for the reminder.