Pushing the boundaries of recovery...

Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Pushing the boundaries of recovery...

In posting this thread II make it clear that I m a firm believer in the principle that the first thing you put ahead of your sobriety will be the second thing you lose.

Together With the fact that I am now and will be ever grateful to the first 100, who contributed to the book,''Alcoholics Anonymous' and the late Joe McQuany and Charlie Parmley responsible for 'Joe & Charlies: Big Book Study Meeting' which has helped so many people recover, including me...

That said,in order to help me make spiritual progress, strengthen and enhance my recovery. I have since 201 taken an interest in the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy First attracted to itt after reading an article off it's liinks to the Serenity Prayer and the fact that a lot of Stoic philosophy can be found in early Christian beliefs upon which the 12 Steps are based. Obviously all these things compliment each other....

Echoing the word of Massimo Pigliucci, to strengthen and enhance my recovery,' I believe Stoicism can help anyone flourish. It provides a general, flexible framework to set priorities and a set of techniques to achieve SERENITY and EQUANIMITY.'

Allowing for the fact that the main problem for the alcoholic centers in the mind and Stoic philosophy is all about transforming emotions. I find that, used in harmony, all these things, at least for me, work in a positive manner. That,at the risk of repeating myself, strengthen and enhance my recovery...
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What would be a good first book as a basic, easy to understand, introduction to Stoic philosophy?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations.

I started with 'Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations' by Jules Evans and 'Stoicism Today:Selected Essays' edited by Patrick Ussher, Book 1.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have listened to Massimo Pigliucci on YouTube a couple times so far, and he really lays out things very well. I scanned a bit from one text by another author that was more formal in the introduction of Stoic philosophy, and I set it aside as being a bit too complex for my own foray into the principles outlined by Stoicism. I still have a strong interest in learning more and will be gradually adding more research into my recovery inputs as time goes by. I continue to appreciate your posts here on the topic.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I agree...

I agree, Massimo has much to say on the subject of Stoic philosophy and presents it in a great way, that is easy to follow and understand and accords with the manner the original Stoic philosophers presented it from the Stoa, or painted porch accessible to all and not some dry academy.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your share, Redmayne. I look forward to reading your recommended texts.