The best part of my recovery...

Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The best part of my recovery...

The best part of my recovery is reflected in the statement, I'd much rather live my life sober believing I'm an alcoholic. Than drunk trying to convince myself that I'm not.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

Recovery is letting go of the fear that some people might find out I ever had a problem.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best part of my recovery was getting my pride and self respect back. I always felt less than, and why wouldn't I, when that was the way I treated myself.

I agree with zero's reply though. I don't know when I let go of that fear but I'm glad I did. I proud of my recovery today. I consider it my most important life accomplishment and lesson.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you...

Thank you for both of those, to me, very pertinent observations.For me,letting go of fear in my recovery was perhaps best identified when I read this from William Knauss. One of the pioneers of Cognitive Behavior,

'What happened to you may not be your fault. But it is your responsibility to think about it.'

Once you see fear for what it is, simply a state of mind, and you change your state of mind (perception) you can then think and act in a way unhindered by fear...

'It's easy too live a happy life, it's all inside you. In your way of thinking,,' = Marcus Aurelius
Old 12-29-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
The best part of my recovery is reflected in the statement, I'd much rather live my life sober believing I'm an alcoholic. Than drunk trying to convince myself that I'm not.
I have that quote hanging on my wall!
Old 12-29-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Great!

I like the idea of that very much....I have a framed copy of W.E.Henley's,'Invictus' I like the last line,'I am Master of My Fate, I am Captain of My Soul.'

Which I certainly wasn't in my 'drinking days'...
Old 12-31-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really like those quotes. I've grown quite partial to the Stoic ideas over the last 10 months (since I quit). Its been part of my recovery to embrace these words of overcoming adversity. A few years ago I bought 'Meditations' of Marcus Aurelius, but it was a really old copy from 2nd hand bookshop - like a really old copy (1890-ish). The reading was hard as all in olde' English and probably a bad translation. I think I'll get a new copy.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best part of my recovery is being fully present and capable of dealing with life. Even when I had to have my old dog put down, I had no thoughts of drinking to 'ease' the pain of losing Jack. And Jack had only known me sober, as I got sober for good before I got him. So it would be a betrayal of his trust if I drank over his death. Jack was my soulmate. I could never betray him.

I also like waking up in the morning not hating myself.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Serenity...

Serenity, which equates to the ultimate goal of Stoic philosophy is defined as 'mental calmness . composure and evenness of temper even in difficult situations' and I admire both you and anyone who, in recovery achieves that as you have surely done...thank you for sharing this.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Deleted because of duplicate post.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The best part of my recovery is the calm mixed with a deep sense of gratitude. I’m still in early sobriety so this state of mind comes and goes but it is truly a feeling of peace.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Upekka!

Great, looks like you're on your way to equanimity or upekka as the Buddhists say....