Keep It Simple

Old 11-11-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
I'm not sure I understand?

Sorry I admit I get a little jealous with people like you who walk into a meeting, stop drinking and never drink again. :-(

Simply put: My problems in sobriety are of a quality nature and I've never forgotten that.

Nevertheless, life on life's terms does present challenges and this is where action comes in. I change what I can, accept (or at least try to accept) what I can't and if I can't tell the difference ask for help.

Yes, the obsession to drink left after my first meeting. I felt a calmness as I walked towards the train station and I believe I was granted the gift of sobriety that night. Bill Wilson had his white light and I felt a calmness. Perhaps not the average AAers experience but that's what happened.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Path- I am one of those quit and never drank again - yet- people.

At the beginning, I did about 82 out of the suggested 90 in 90. And almost always to the noon mtg at a big clubhouse here.
I slept - a LOT - and began eating again; my body had a tremendous amount of damage.
I took about 6 weeks before I got a very simple job (I worked at Chick Fil A).
I ONLY spent time with my parents - if I went out to dinner, it was with them. If I went to the grocery store, it was one of them who drove me (I did not have a car) and I never took in a purse and I always gave them the receipt (no sneak buying wine, a longtime habit).
I stabilized on a good meds regimen.

Other things and habits have evolved and every single thing I do is centered in the life of recovery that I have chosen, my fiance has as well, and building the best lives we can for each of us, and our family.

Also I cut myself slack when things push me too much or my emotional sobriety gets a little uneven. "Sending myself to bed early" and "making a polite exit" are two basic tools I use.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Simply put: My problems in sobriety are of a quality nature and I've never forgotten that.
Thanks Ken. Good point. It really is more about quality than quantity in a lot of cases. I've met some very angry long timers who are just not drinking and going to meetings but aren't doing anything to solve their alcohol-ISM.

Nevertheless, life on life's terms does present challenges and this is where action comes in. I change what I can, accept (or at least try to accept) what I can't and if I can't tell the difference ask for help.
That's a great way of wording it. The Serenity Prayer is such a great foundation.

Yes, the obsession to drink left after my first meeting. I felt a calmness as I walked towards the train station and I believe I was granted the gift of sobriety that night. Bill Wilson had his white light and I felt a calmness. Perhaps not the average AAers experience but that's what happened.
My sponsor told me that's rare but that a lucky few get to have that experience. I think she referred to it as "struck stone-cold sober" or something like that.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Path- I am one of those quit and never drank again - yet- people.
Wow I did not know that, August! You have a strong recovery too.
That's very cool. I can live vicariously through people like you, lol.

At the beginning, I did about 82 out of the suggested 90 in 90. And almost always to the noon mtg at a big clubhouse here.
I slept - a LOT - and began eating again; my body had a tremendous amount of damage.
I took about 6 weeks before I got a very simple job (I worked at Chick Fil A).
I ONLY spent time with my parents - if I went out to dinner, it was with them. If I went to the grocery store, it was one of them who drove me (I did not have a car) and I never took in a purse and I always gave them the receipt (no sneak buying wine, a longtime habit).
I stabilized on a good meds regimen.
I guess now I see why people do "90 in 90". Early on it keeps the focus on not drinking while your body and head are getting used to it.

Other things and habits have evolved and every single thing I do is centered in the life of recovery that I have chosen, my fiance has as well, and building the best lives we can for each of us, and our family.
That is very inspirational. :-)

Also I cut myself slack when things push me too much or my emotional sobriety gets a little uneven. "Sending myself to bed early" and "making a polite exit" are two basic tools I use.
My husband reminds me of this sometimes too. I really do find it's very important to get enough sleep and not to push myself too hard anymore.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was more like Ken, although I didn't just "walk into a meeting." Inpatient rehab, cognitive outpatient rehab, 12 Step, psychiatric treatment, psychodynamic individual therapy.

About two weeks into rehab, which was very 12 Step focused, with the help of my drug counselor and others with me, I simply got Step 1 and it was like a switch flipped. Alcohol is a negative influence in my life, it controls me rather than the reverse, so I need to stop doing it.

Everything that followed was just following the advice and directives of professionals in recovery that maximized my chances of not ever drinking again.

My path was to unconditionally commit to a life without substance including using every tool at my disposal to get there, surrender to the process, and look at the strong and mounting evidence that a sober life is far better than a drinking one.

It looks like "luck," but there was nothing lucky about it. It was a lot of hard work and time, and I was absolutely ready for it.

Luck favors the prepared mind.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan;6674988[I was more like Ken, although I didn't just "walk into a meeting." [/B
Inpatient rehab, cognitive outpatient rehab, 12 Step, psychiatric treatment, psychodynamic individual therapy.

About two weeks into rehab, which was very 12 Step focused, with the help of my drug counselor and others with me, I simply got Step 1 and it was like a switch flipped. Alcohol is a negative influence in my life, it controls me rather than the reverse, so I need to stop doing it.

Everything that followed was just following the advice and directives of professionals in recovery that maximized my chances of not ever drinking again.

My path was to unconditionally commit to a life without substance including using every tool at my disposal to get there, surrender to the process, and look at the strong and mounting evidence that a sober life is far better than a drinking one.

It looks like "luck," but there was nothing lucky about it. It was a lot of hard work and time, and I was absolutely ready for it.

Luck favors the prepared mind.

The obsession to drink left after my first meeting. However, I also immersed myself in AA and a key component of my sobriety has been I've never taken it for granted.

For me there was only AA. Rehab centers/therapists cost a lot of money without insurance and I had neither.

It was stick with AA or try and get sober on my own which never worked.

Fortunately, I liked the AA program and most of those within the fellowship so I stayed.