In Recovery

Old 10-25-2004, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

In Recovery

The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection; the water has no mind to receive their image.
--Zenrin poem

There are moments which simply happen through no conscious intention or will on anyone's part. The image of an old woman with a peaceful face, the smell of smoke rising from a chimney on a chilly night, the knowing look of recognition from a friend as we make a comment, the special feeling of a touch. These are spiritual moments because they reach a deeper part of our being. They are like a sliver in time set aside which nourishes our souls and adds serenity to our lives.

We grow when we learn to notice these kinds of moments. In our willfulness, we have often missed them before because we simply were not open to anything we weren't already looking for. This world is so much larger than the human mind. In recovery, we can take time to admire the beauty reflected around us.

Today, I will let the rest of life intrude upon my mind. I will let myself be nourished by what comes along.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's a lot of beauty out there that we can miss if we remain focused on ourselves and our worries. Thanks for the nice reminder Doug.