You finally get to choose...

Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

You finally get to choose...

Bearing in mind this from Richard Bach, 'Let the world live as it chooses, Allowing yourself to live as you choose.' and allowing for the fact that most of my life. Including that spent in my quite lengthy and prolonged drinking years was driven more by circumstance than choice.

In my vain and stupid efforts to gain that 'ease and comfort'( see the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous') brought on by alcohol as I progressed, ever decreasingly. Alcoholism is a progressive illness, right!

Even in the prolonged and hopefully (a day at a time) recovery and sobriety it's taken last years events when after a life saving operation followed by five weeks in a medically induced coma. After which, in fairness to me and my slow and long recovery not for the first time it struck me that the world had not only got on very well without me. No suggestion that it made any progress, ok! Put hadn't even missed me! Not even throwing a party for my 70th birthday, which I spent in a coma.

Joking apart, it struck me that even in recovery from drinking I had, stupidly allowed myself to play the same old game. Continually letting , whereas once it was alcohol, circumstance have the upper hand.

No more, although my recovery in both cases from my drinking and hospitalization has been a long, slow process. As some might say, a steep learning curve, putting , one day at a time, one foot, sometimes painfully. In foot of another. Until, one day,today! II finally realized, I'm non to bright, ok! Using Richard Bach's quote and applying it to all these events I finally get to choose.After all, I've done it before, it was me who chose to , whatever it took to not only stop drinking but to change both my perception on life, my recovery and many other people and things.

And now God, Providence, call it what you will had, to strengthen and enlighten my recovery from both drinking and a very serious, life threatening (similar to drinking) illness had provided. In no mean terms the choice to 'Let the world live as it chooses. Allowing myself to live as I choose.

Which, on reflection is the most positive thing about mine or anyone else's recovery, you finally, whatever drives you to it, to choose!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love your posts Red. So well written.
I think it is right about living how we decide to live.

I also think that we often make excuses for why we do not drink.
I am going to move forward and be confident when telling people I don't drink. In that is a choice. I have made. I need to say more often its my choice.

And yes the world still keeps on moving whether we are here or not.

I wish you the best x
Old 07-13-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!!!!

Good to see you!!!