Keep it simple and do it well...

Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Keep it simple and do it well...

Last September,still sober and looking forward to my ninth year due in Feb., 2017, I was suddenly and at the time struck down so as to find myself facing a surgeon who told me that whilst he was quite prepared to operate there was a slim chance of my recovery. My son was given the same information.

The operation was for what, I later found out was a duodenal ulcer, a high percentage of which are caused by bacterial infection, which burst on the way into the operating theatre, considerably lessening my chances of survival ...

This was followed by 5 weeks in a medically induced coma and a further 7-8 weeks hospitalisation whilst I was taught to stand and walk, with the assistance of a frame and crutches to walk again!

It was pointed out to me that I (and my son) had been through a very stressful and traumatic experience and my recovery, at any level would be a long, slow process...at the time I remember my thinking of my recovery from drinking in early 2008...

Nearly 3 months from my discharge from hospital I find myself still coming to terms with these events spiritually, mentally and physically... realising that they have caused me to lose3 my perspective in many areas of my life!

Then, I remembered that my recovery from drinking, initially brought on y my recognition and acceptance that I suffered from alcoholism was greatly assisted by a maxim often used by rugby coaches (at the moment we in the UK are in the middle of the 6 Nations Rugby Tournament, one of the biggest sporting events in the northern hemisphere) was 'Do it simply and do it well!'

Which mirrors the AA maxim,'Keep it simple', and stood me in good stead then as it is doing now...in a slightly different form which is, given my 9th anniversary in sobriety passed , without incident earlier this month perhaps an indicator of it's effectiveness for all those who like me in recovery....just a thought I thought I'd share...
Old 02-26-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I wish you well in your recovery and hope walking (and everything ) returns.
Xx