Excitement Chaser .

Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excitement Chaser .

Looking back over my history in AA since 1973 reads two years off booze lifted a drink lasted 6 weeks , then 1975 till 1995 20 years off booze . Must add that these periods were achieved without any involvement in the 12 step recovery program I never really changed, sure I stayed away from the 1st drink, always was in employment so my life improved financially , I still had loads of character defects all I did was remove alcohol and as I have stated before was pretty much a '' dry drunk ''.

Normal way of thinking and living proved difficult for me and I used to joke that '' Reality was an illusion caused by lack of alcohol '' .

Many alcoholics have addictive personalities and in my case alcohol was only one of them , I went to 'Gamblers Anonymous' at age of 23 and did not gamble for about two years and I drank more often and heavily and justified my actions by telling my wife that I no longer was gambling and what more did she want ? do you want me stop smoking now I asked ?.

During my 20 yr period of not drinking I had periods where I smoked dope or took pills , had affairs , gambled frequently and justified everything except the affairs ( mostly secret ) I seemed to go on a merry go round repeating these actions , always on the defense ,always trying to cover up , always telling lies ,always trying to hide something , totally dishonest and an unmanageable life .

Well it was no surprise that I got drunk as I could not live with myself I was working away from home and lifted a drink ,got drunk had a blackout and when I got back home ? well I never mentioned it, not even to AA members and for the next 11 years I had one or two drinks on a regular basis and covered it up also , I occasionally smoked a joint gambled occasionally , remained faithful and to make matters worse || 'Made out I was sober 32 years ' totally off my head .
I eventually owned up as I could not live with me due to guilt , started from the beginning got sponsor and for the first time on my life got on the 12 step recovery program and I have never looked back .

I have come to the conclusion that I was what I call an ''Excitement Chaser '' as I simply became bored just staying off alcohol but I still missed the effect or buzz and that is why I got involved in other activities that I thought relieved the boredom . I was simply to big headed and arrogant and was not interested in steps , higher powers and I thought I was a great guy .

Heard many years ago that if you are lucky enough and stay around long enough and do not get AA then AA will get you . In my case that was true but I would never recommend that procedure .

Ego deflation at depth was what it took for me to admit defeat , I no longer take mind altering drugs , do not gamble , am faithful to my wife , and I now am happy ,content , and very spiritually well , so thank you to Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 step Recovery Program .

Last edited by stevieg46; 10-23-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-23-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you...

Thank you for a truly excellent and inspirational post. Well worth reading because a lot of its content resonated with me, as I'm sure it will with all those he read it, not least in terms of its credibility and honesty...
Old 10-23-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Yet another thread where Apatheia could be be said to be the long-term solution to the problem.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Correct ,yes many of us tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil .

Freedom from old ideas habits and thoughts leads to a new way of living and spiritual well being .