The change is phenomenal...

Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The change is phenomenal...

Funny, I was thinking last night, the last day of my birthday month. I hit 69 this month, thanks to all who sent their regards via 'silent run's' post.

How much in the past 8 , 7 and a half years, spent in sobriety things have changed for me.

The obvious factors being my health is now stable, allowing for the vicissitudes of aging, my thirty year drinking history and the good offices of the National Health Service, here in the UK.

I now live in a safe secure environment, when I arrived here in 2007, this was my fifth home in six years, although my flat would probably still give the impression of that of a 'mature student', albeit one who is at least, like me, clean and tidy.

My finances are now stable and secure, not as good as some, but better than many.

Putting those aside, the change in my mental state is phenomenal to the extent I can now think cognitively (truth and reason), which is a far cry, albeit described by others as a 'high functioning alcoholic', is a far cry from the delusional life lead by those, regrettably, still drinking.

I've now included the principles and practice of Stoic philosophy or 'street philosophy', it was taught there rather than in at some academic institution. Primarily because it's linked with both Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and the words of 'The Serenity Prayer' all involving rational thought. Something I was unable to do in my drinking days and which, with its return has brought me a great sense of contentment, in simply being myself. I think we'd all like to experience, as individuals, that.

You can't buy or fake that!

In summary, I can only add the words of Marcus Aurelius, one of the great Stoic philosophers, 'Waste no time arguing what is a good man - be a good man.'

I hasten to add, woman, Stoic philosophy has always welcomed and encouraged them.

Reflecting on those words and the aforementioned events, the change, in recovery, in me and my life is phenomenal, as I'm sure it is and can be for many others to!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Addendum

Without doubt, the biggest part in this phenomenal change in my recovery, is the realisation that it's not wealth, fame, or status that matter in this life but the excellent state of our own mental health which allows us to gain a true perspective of the world around us and more importantly, ourselves!

As opposed to the delusional lives lead in our drinking days, enabling us to love ourselves as we really are which n turn allows us to love others...
Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Wonderful post. Happiness is indeed an inside job. When we are happy with ourselves so many of the trappings of life I felt I needed have so much less importance
Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Philosophies for Life and other Dangerous Situations...

Thank you, pursuing your observations must admit I've found a lot of sustenance and personal growth in Jules Evans book, which is the title of this post and both the book and website,'Stoicism Today.'

Adding to and enhancing to what I learned in the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' and 'Charlie and Joe's:Big Book Study Meeting,' these 'old boys' certainly knew a thing or to, including Socrates, the father of philosophy. Who said,'An unexamined life, is no life,' got that right!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!! . . . Sobriety really can be the foundation for a better life!!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

And it's all true!

Thank you, and it's all true, change your perception, change your life!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

In early sobriety of 16 months I daily feel I am unwrapping this never ending gift. It reminds me of the Russian nesting dolls. There is always another when I open the next.... It's as if I am unlocking this closely guarded secret - who are we?

Yes, truth and reason!

I greatly appreciate your threads and the many layers presented.

Thank you