Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to recover from alcoholism whilst still suffering PTSD?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Is it possible to recover from alcoholism whilst still suffering from PTSD ( Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)?

Whilst my drinking stopped seven years ago, back in the 90's during my drinking days. I suffered two traumatic events, caused by the selfish irresponsible actions of others,both, it was suggested suffering from mental disorder by an independent Consultant Psychologist, though both seven years apart, I literally lost everything and I do mean EVERYTHING, other than my son and what was left of me and any ability I once had.

Obviously certain benefits have been accrued in sobriety in various aspects of my life, but any progress as regards my general health and well being to a point where it was before either alcohol or the PTSD, allowing for the effects of aging, has been markedly slow.

To a point where I now realize that whilst, in recovery followed by a prolonged period of sobriety. The scars left by what was a prime example of 'misplaced loyalty' to those responsible for for the previously mentioned, two traumatic events, still plague my life.

A recent tv debate, aimed at veterans of recent conflicts, offered the view that one was but a symptom of the other and disputed as to whether or not the drinking was part of the cause and not the treatment.

This was not the case, as a high functioning alcoholic, in my case, so they can be treated in isolation, accepting that whatever my state of mind. I'm better off without alcohol,of that, there's no dispute.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Think positive...

Mmmnnn ,'no answer' was the firm reply, guess I just must've been unlucky....oh well, it's not the pain that hurts you, it's how you perceive it...
Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

To move things on a little...

To move things on a little, I've found that the two Buddhist tenets, to rely on yourself together with the idea that anything (including anyone) that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned.

Together with practising Stoic philosophy, which generally speaking suggests that whilst you often have no control over external events, the weather, economy, relationships etc., you do have control over internal events i.e. your thoughts and beliefs.

Although,perhaps understandbly I now detest self absorbed people who make presumptions about others, often 'plucked from thin air', that have no basis in reality.....;you just know ,'it'll all end in tears'.

Plus those same people who try to cause others pain or make them feel small and in doing so, fail to realize that not only do they lose them, they do so forever!

So that one day they find their only companions are others who are self absorbed, who have no interest in them, for exactly the same reason!

On the plus side, I now like people for who they are, regardless of their race, class or gender and not what they are!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
Although,perhaps understandbly I now detest self absorbed people who make presumptions about others, often 'plucked from thin air', that have no basis in reality.....;you just know ,'it'll all end in tears'.
"Psychologically we are all different. Spiritually we are all the same."
- Carl Jung

"Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. "
- Bill Wilson
Old 03-09-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Redmayne ~

I had to read your OP several times since posted, and let it percolate down through my Thinking. Some French Pressed Coffee of the Intellect, eh?-)

If I've Clinical PTSD, it's composed of Residuals associated with severe Whiplash from a Car Crash the last day of 1989 down around Disney World. Ironically, I met several of your fine Countrymen there, since a few major Airlines ran affordable London -> Orlando Florida Flights. One Gent outfitted his Daughters in items like Levis bought at surrounding Discount Outlets. He figgered he saved enough Money in this pre-School Year Clothes Shopping to pay for their Flights! But, I digress...

Whiplash pain can be severe beyond description. We used to come Home; lay on the Floor; and just sob. Our Attorney, required to settle Damages, told us that he had 2 Clients stick Guns in their Mouths to escape this level of unending Pain that Surgery often cannot ameliorate. I have no doubt that others became Pain Killer Addicts. This would be absolutely understandable.

What surprised me some years later, during an MRI for a torn Rotator Cuff, was that I'd developed some serious Claustrophobia [from Whiplash MRIs, apparently], and what I'll call 'over caution' in making a few - not all - Physical moves. In my Mind, I apparently did not want to re-injure myself; so horrible was Whiplash pain. So, this resolution - my understanding - is fine by me. It's not as though I live in fear.

In a response that surely is not Universally useful to everyone, I opted to acknowledge and 'compartmentalize' this residual Trauma after identifying what it likely was. I didn't know this at the time, but an effective solution was to treat such Trauma quite like my AV. I.D. it if/when it pops up to the surface: process it 'my way', and dispense with it post-haste. Move on.

A few weeks ago, there was this 'odd' Announcement on our local Western Colorado Mountain Public Radio Station. Highway 550 - a serious Mountain Pass we call 'Little Switzerland' - was 'closed indefinitely to permit retrieval of a Vehicle'. A Bartender Pal from the local Dog Park backfilled the Story. A Veteran of multiple Deployments in the Middle East with known PTSD had texted his Brother in another State. He texted that he had finally found the place he wanted to die. He drove his Car off this precipitous Mountain Road in a rare gap where there is no Guard Rail. It was his Vehicle, and lifeless Body, that was being recovered. I hope he found the Peace that eluded him in this Life.

I do not, for a New York Second, put Whiplash PTSD in the same Category as War-related PTSD. We have Statistically-significant Suicide 'Clusters' here at Ft. Carson Colorado that are very disturbing. Clearly, more help is needed. The Political Will necessary to acknowledge and adequately fund required Services is lacking.

My point - and I do have one - is that I suspect modest Cases of PTSD can be worked through with diligence. Just as many Alcohol-related Scenarios can be dealt with solo. Like, not avoiding Alcohol in the Store Aisles. Some can't deal with that. Fair enough. I find that I can, and quite easily. No Bottle is gonna jump off the Shelf and pour the contents down my Throat, as I see it. Others here sound as if they 'trigger' at the Store; just as I did from Whiplash-related Triggers.

The obvious, Self-Aware trick seems to be in knowing when Self-Directed solutions are beyond oneself, and when they aren't. No Grand Insights, here, nor are any intended. Just some Food for thought to nosh on...

As a Philosophical aside, we were married Decades ago in a Buddhist Ceremony. It fit our POVs. I don't concern myself with some 'Objective' final Analysis of my minor PTSD. I have reached within myself a working understanding that does not impede Personal Development, or affect living a satisfied Life. If my understanding is a delusion, it's a workable one, eh? No worries by me. So, I ignore the Armchair Philosophers and Psychologists, and - if/when needed - stick with the Pros from such Disciplines.

-----
Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Cognitive behavioural therapy...

Thanks for your usual articulate and intelligent post, in which I identify the fat that each case of PTSD like alcoholism and recovery has to be addressed on its individual merits e.g. we al arrive here b y different paths and chose our own path in recovery , your 'rock bottom' may be different from mine or anyone else's for that matter.

Which, although I have yet to fully explore the subject, early indications suggest, cognitive behavioural therapy comes in, allied with Stoic philosophy, it's broad and wide ranging allowing it to be flexible enough to be tailored to each individuals needs so that it an be used for recovery from both alcoholism and PTSD...

Although as I understand it there's dispute, in the treatment of conflict veterans as to whether any inclination to drink should be dealt with first prior to tackling the effects of PTSD or by treating the PTSD first, it will naturally 'arrest' the abuse of alcohol.

From my own personal experience, accepting the fact that both yours and my experiences don't relate to that of veterans. In my case, getting rid of the drinking, whilst obviously providing certain benefits to me and I'm sure many others hasn't fully addressed the residue of the PTSD suffered as the result of events in my personal personal and professional life back in the 90's.

Which in terms addressed in the title of this thread, very much emphasises the need in progressing both my recovery from alcoholism, PTSD and my newly acquired interest in Stoic philosophy to 'rely on yourself, as like sobriety itself, no one can do it for you!

Thanks for your time and interest in this thread...
Old 03-10-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have observed in others with serious mental disorders that recovery from alcoholism creates the opportunity for effective treatment of the other disorder. Active alcoholism undermines and makes treatment of other disorders extremely difficult .

In my own case my mental problems were retared emotional and spiritual growth, and an inability to exist and grow in the real world. Alcohol robbed me of all opportunity for progress. Recovery from alcoholism did not instantly fix these problems, but it removed the single biggest handicap to progress and allowed me, at last, to embark on the journey of life.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

[QUOTE=Boleo;5247964]"Psychologically we are all different. Spiritually we are all the same."
- Carl Jung

Isn't that the principle of anonymity?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

- Carl Jung

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Isn't that the principle of anonymity?
Never thought about that before, but I guess it does apply here. Just one more reason Bill W wanted to give credit to Carl J as the progenitor of recovery.

The Spiritual solution to recovery does seem to work for everybody (in spite of who or what they are). Seems to always be the case that those who supply the actions get the results.

It kind of works like Karma... only more so.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A comment...

A comment of such analytical, perceptive, incisive quality, it would still the mouths of babes...
Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

'Men are disturbed not by things, but by the view they take of those things' (Epictetus (AD 50 - 120; Greek philosopher)

"Ask not that events should happen as you will, but let your will be that events should happen as they do, then you shall know peace." Epictetus Circa 70 AD
Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
- Carl Jung

Never thought about that before, but I guess it does apply here. Just one more reason Bill W wanted to give credit to Carl J as the progenitor of recovery.

The Spiritual solution to recovery does seem to work for everybody (in spite of who or what they are). Seems to always be the case that those who supply the actions get the results.

It kind of works like Karma... only more so.

Although some don't recover, for me, the purpose of my alcoholism was recovery. My Alcoholism was a delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only reality!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

Gottalife seems spot on here. Substance abuse interferes with recovery or treatment from other so-called mental disorders. Getting sober is likely the first step in addressing PTSD. One could argue that substance abuse is the antithesis of constructively addressing PTSD.

So, can one recover from alcoholism whilst still suffering PTSD? I would say no because recovery implies something deeper than sobriety. In my case, for example, I have been sober for 15 months, and I am simultaneously recovering from addictions and trauma. I discovered at some point that my drinking had become an avenue to avoid facing the pain of past traumas - sexual abuse, physical abuse, psychological abuse, car accidents, witnessing death...

I know this: I had no hope of mental health without first addressing the addiction because the addiction is a symptom of my mental dis-ease. I drank because of the symptoms I suffered when I wasn't drinking. I cannot overcome those symptoms by numbing them. So, I had to get sober and feel the shame, the anxiety, the fear, the horror, the disappointment, the embarrassment, the nightmares, and the pain before I could learn to love myself again and learn to have compassion for myself and for others, including those who have done me harm.

Trauma and stress only enter the realm of disorder when they affect us to the level that we are dis-ordered; when we are not functioning at a level one would expect of an otherwise healthy adult. Alcohol helped me relax, sure, but eventually it contributed to my dis-order and to my mental and emotional dis-ease.

I guess I'm saying that recovery from alcoholism or addiction, at least in my case, is inextricably entwined with recovery from the traumas I have endured. Recovery for me means recovery from all of it - addiction and trauma. I'm not sure what that will look or feel like, but I sense I'm getting there, and it's not about no longer feeling pain. I think it's about feeling pain and accepting it.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

zerothehero writes>>>[QUOTE=zerothehero;5299332]Gottalife seems spot on here. So, can one recover from alcoholism whilst still suffering PTSD? I would say no because recovery implies something deeper than sobriety. <<<

Alcoholism is only an addiction to alcohol, thus one can recover when certain criteria is met. This is why from my point of view, alcoholism isn't a disease, but alcoholism can create disease physiologically and exacerbate existing psychological problems.

One can suffer from PTSD and be recovered from alcoholism, due to the alcoholism criterion being physiological and psychological. Some would include spirituality as a criterion. The text book Alcoholics Anonymous references alcoholism as a spiritual malady. In other words, if one isn't anymore concerned with drinking than they are with not drinking, they would fit the criterion and be recovered from alcoholism. Some of those with PTSD fit this criterion and progressively do well overcoming PTSD.

Unless one is a second to third stage alcoholic, where it's obvious that disease is present due to alcoholism, there's no litmus test to prove one is an alcoholic or potential alcoholic. In this context, alcoholism is self-diagnosed. An alcoholism diagnoses has to be accepted by the alcoholic for recovery, this is why alcoholism is self-diagnosed.

Also, the concept that once an alcoholic always and alcoholic cannot be scientifically proven either way that one is or isn't. I've known many that were professionally diagnosed as alcoholic, but at a future time return to drinking moderately. Some would say "well they were not an alcohol to begin with." However, as I stated, there's no litmus test, there's no science to prove this for most alcoholics.

The text book Alcoholics Anonymous has a whole section of personal stories titled "They Stopped in Time" which from my perspective is the case with the majority of those that enter recovery. Besides many, especially today are poly-addicted, or transfer addictions nicotine being one of many addictive substances. Or some are poly-addicted with non-substance addiction e.g. gambling, hording, etc.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Redmayne.

I suffered from many psychological traumas, and the most active stage of treating the one which was the worst of them, started when I was about 1 sober.

Not all of my wounds are healed yet, but I am feeling better overall. And 2.5 years sober now.

So, I suppose, my answer will be "yes".

Though I was extremely scared in early sobriety how I would manage to deal with enormous emotional pain without being able to numb it with wine, it turned out that clear sober mind have me power to face the ghosts that had been haunting me, bring them to light and deal with them.

I hope you will feel better in sobriety.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you...

Thank you for your interesting, intelligent and articulate post, it said much that I certainly can identify with...

I must admit, my journey in recovery to heal myself has covered many roads , but recently I've found an interest in Stoic Philosophy which strongly relates to CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) which is very much at the forefront of treating PTSD most helpful...thanks again.