Keeping things in perspective.....

Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Keeping things in perspective.....

'Alcohol gave me wings to fly, then it took away the sky,' was a rhyme I heard once, and very true of me in my drinking days.

In recovery, I now find I don't need alcohol to give me wings to fly and the sky is endless, done by, in sobriety, just being myself.

Having the freedom, on any given day to just be me and live my life as I choose. Of course this doesn't free me from the normal responsibilities and commitments we all face in our daily existences,or do I always particularly welcome them. Hey! I'm human after all.

But I've found that, if I let it, those little white caps on the ocean of life can soon turn into a raging storm, that in truth doesn't really exist. Provided I keep my feet firmly planted on the ground and me, my freedom and my life in perspective.

An example of which might be, having regard to all my circumstances and the pain and suffering I endured, which, drinking apart involved other unrelated events, which although I didn't realize it at the time. It was later, much later pointed out to me were beyond my control and for which I shouldn't burden myself with unfounded and ill deserved guilt. Albeit it didn't help me or my recovery at the time, something we should all be wary of!

That I consider myself affluent said on the basis that, if the definition of being affluent is having everything that you need and not what you want. which, having learned in recovery some hard lessons, living in penury. One doors width from sleeping in the gutter in a sparsely furnished flat, above the local drug dealer. Which definitely reminded me how far I'd fallen on a daily basis and , just to survive motivated and taught me to change my perspective on life and subsequently, although many years had to pass, keep it!

So that, using it as a firm basis for my daily existence I'm now, in recovery learning, with hopefully still more to come, a freedom, in just being myself, that I once thought was unparalleled and far beyond anything I or anyone else would attain. Yet in truth , I suspect thousands if not millions of others enjoy everyday, who fortunately don't suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism as I and many reading this do...

Keeping things in perspective, is a lot to do, I feel, with efficient self esteem acceptance of both ourselves and the world around us, just as it and ourselves, really are. Qualities which were certainly lacking in me in my drinking days.So this, perhaps in part is what recovery means to me ...