severe headache 2 weeks after last drink?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

severe headache 2 weeks after last drink?

I have read of people getting withdrawal headaches a few days after alcohol cessation.. but today was a real zinger. It was unlike any sinus headache I ever had; those infallibly go away with some Motrin. This one, the Motrin did not even touch. I drank caffeine, made sure to hydrate and eat, got enough sleep.. still bad. it is at a tolerable-enough level now to sit at my computer. Work and the drive home were horrible today though.

Has anyone experienced headaches like this? I quit drinking for two months straight; I did have this bad-of a headache a few days after that quitting-date, but nothing this bad after. I then had two drinking nights and one drink after the 2 months, and have now been sober for 15 days, if any of this helps.

I am done too now, by the way. Symbolically poured the last alcohol in the house down the drain last night.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think any headache that normal painkillers don't touch is probably one to let the Dr look at ExtraHours?

D
Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It eased up overnight. Feels like a bad sinus headache after all; I do get some relief when applying pressure to the sides of my nose.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I found your thread. I'm 10 days and in last 2 days have suffered terrible headaches! I don't get it but it guess it's delayed detox. It's rough as I want to medicate but don't want to mess up this flow. I guess we're in it together till we get through this part.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my advice is to drink more water than you think is necessary. You have probably spent a great deal of time dehydrating yourself when you drank alcohol. I am 90 sober and still think I have periods where I can't get enough water in me. I get headaches too. Have you read anything about PAWS? I just learned about it through this site. If you do a bit of searching I am sure you will find some of the symptoms you are describing. If it continues, I would certainly follow up with a doctor. Take it easy and drink some water. Hopefully you will feel better tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before, alcohol made us feel numb. After I first quit drinking I had headaches. I also had aches and pains. For me, I believe I was just feeling everything more real and raw. I was no longer medicating myself and felt what I would have most likely felt all along had I not numbed myself for so long.

Of course, you must read your own body and if need be, see your doctor. Good luck!