What the hell do sober people do all the time?!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sober people have fun. We meet with fellow alcoholics and we meet with normal people of the world, we do not hide in the rooms of AA, like so many do. We work all 12 steps in order as layed out in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, we become recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body, and start living life. This is a program of action, not delay. A cancer patient does sit around in a room talking about their day and wasting time, a cancer patient does chemo-therapy ASAP. You break a leg, one does not lay on his bed day dreaming, talking on the phone with his buddy, no the patient sees the doctor goes to surgery and gets plates and pins installed ASAP. We are sick people trying to get better. I had to fill that huge hole that was left when I stopped drinking. There are roundups to attend, Big Book Studies, campouts, sober dances, AA service work, Step 12work=meetings, movies, then of course there is the day job or career, of course there is prayer and meditation this is what keeps us sober, being in touch with a Higher Power of my own understanding, this HP is not me it can be the group, the room, AA whatever. The point of the Big Book is to get a Higher Power to help you stay sober and carry the message to the still suffering which can be the brand new guy in his first AA meeting ever, the chronic relapser or the old-timer. Quality over Quantity. There are endless activities to do, Sober Riders a motorcycle club is quite fun, travelling. I needed a group of AA friends to hang with at first, then I branched out and joined several clubs, squash, gym membership, tennis, skiing. Its hard to do all the things I want to do in a day, time just flies by, I cant believe I wasted so much time and brain cells to drinking. But as we all know, alcohol has nothing to do with my problem, its the way I think, and alcohol and coffee is a drug. Anyway, I just wanted to add something else which came to mind, relapse doesnt have to be apart of anyones journey. There are people that get it the very first time, they reached a deep enough bottom, one-timers.