Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Project MATCH: No one treatment, including 12-step based approaches, are superior

Project MATCH: No one treatment, including 12-step based approaches, are superior

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
All I know is these numbers are pretty convincing to me about AA. Plus I have personal proof that it works if you are willing to follow their path without reservation.

Worldwide there are 114,642 AA groups

Members World-wide Total: 2,131,549

I have gone to State conventions with Thousands of people.

If it even works for just one then I have a chance.

The General Service Office does not keep membership records. The information shown here is based on
reports given by groups listed with G.S.O., and does not represent an actual count of those who consider
themselves A.A. members.
We are aware of A.A. presence in over 170 countries, including 63 other autonomous general service offices
in other lands. Annually we attempt to contact those G.S.O.s and groups that request to be listed in our
records. Where current data is lacking we use an earlier year’s figures.
If you are looking at this like a disease, western medicine will tell you in no uncertain terms, for instance, that a certain type of chemo had a 35% remission or a 50% response rate.

One thing that is fishy about recovery programs, is their unwillingness to put a number on it. I know, anonymous is what it says, but if you can't say, 40% of people who used our program are clean one year later, then you really can't make ANY claim without a reasonable, science minded individual stating that you haven't proven ANYTHING.

Yes, if it works for anyone, it can work for you but placebo works in a fairly high percentage too. Therefore, youmight be statistically in the same category as people who followed no formal program, or placebo.

So the truth is, the method that is CLAIMED to be most effective has little or no science behind it.

I'm ok with that. It clearly works for people. And that's a great thing. But I'm dubious about claims vs. scientific reality.

And when people say, I know it works, because it worked for me, well, that is no different than a persons personal belief in God. You may have belief in it, but the burden of proof is on you, not the skeptic.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by nandm
Isn't the bottom line "finding a solution to unmaneagable drinking?" If that is the case then does it really matter what program one actually uses as long as it works for them?
I agree 100%, but I think the issue has been that historically there has been a lack of options for people who find themselves addicted. The medical community, the legal system, private treatment centers, all presented only the 12 step spiritually based solution. If an addicted individual rejected that approach, for whatever reason, then they were either told that they were in denial about their problem (even when they openly acknowledged the problem and the desire to quit), or that there simply was really no other way to truly be able to "get sober". It was, and to some extent still is, just an overall general "consensus" so to speak.

Because of forums like this (and the Internet in general), increased education, and new focus on alternative methods, things are changing. I believe the more options available, the higher the chances that people can find something that works for them. That's a good thing.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
After almost 14 years sober there are some very basic facts about recovery from alcohol that I have seen and experienced.

1. There has to be a desire to stop.
2. One must recognize, accept and be willing to make certain changes in one's own behavior and habits as they relate to drinking.
3. The availability of a peer group who has experienced based knowledge of the process of abstinence, (I have no knowledge of controlled approaches) and when that peer group can counsel and advise based on their own successful methods to be used as a path to follow, the success on an individual is markedly improved.
4. An active role in other's efforts to abstain engenders an involvement and increasing knowledge of means to succeed by the individual who is providing the assistance. Much like a teacher in school continues to learn more every time they are called upon to teach the subject.
5. A continuing and ongoing involvement in some structured form and program of abstinence, even if it is minimal per week, but the fact that it is constant and requires a form of dedication recognized by the participant seems to keep the goal of abstinence at the ready when the alcoholic feels the importance of not drinking flagging.
Well said IMO

While new at recovery, I've seen many examples of 12-step programs addressing the basic facts you've listed above very well for many, many people. But many of us have difficultly with the "spirituality" part of the program; that can be a big hurdle to overcome.

Still, I've fond AA to be very helpful, welcoming and comforting, and I was once very hesitant about attending AA.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Because of forums like this (and the Internet in general), increased education, and new focus on alternative methods, things are changing. I believe the more options available, the higher the chances that people can find something that works for them. That's a good thing.
I agree with you one hundred percent. Alcoholism kill and what is important is to educate people about available options, show them love and support and also help them break their isolation.
To quote a friend of mine: There is a bolt for every nut
I like the SR hardware store.